Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Reconditioned right head and timing.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:04 PM
Default Reconditioned right head and timing.

I recently put a reconditioned heads on my 2004 Montero limited with 3.8l. I discovered the heads are interchangable with the Endeavour and others. My challenge came in when timing the camshafts. The standard Montero cam timing procedure would not work. Intake valves were opening during compression stroke. Obviously no compression on right bank. Left bank was fine. I removed the head prepared to find damaged intake valves. Luck smiled upon me. No interference. I ran the cam number and showed it was for an Endeavor. I reviewed the cam timing procedure and the timing mark on the right side was about approx 60' advanced. I created a new mark on the valve cover to correspond to the Endeavor procedues. Lots of quadruple checking. Hyzaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!! It runs great. Smooth idle, great pull through all RPM's. Take home: Be sure your rebuilt head on the right has a Montero cam. If it is an Endeavour cam, plan on rolling the dice, remarking your right valve cover and hoping timing is spot on. Lesson learned.