Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Removing Intake Plenum - '00 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1960StudebakerHawk
Naeos......I like the cardboard idea for keeping the bolts arranged as Ive done that in the past. The paint trick seems good too. Im sure Hunter is working on designing and fabricating a new plenum that fits elsewhere on the engine so the spark plugs can be changed without removing it.......and he will be sending us each one for our rigs very soon. Ha ha.
Ha ha. I'll get to it as soon as i run out of other projects. Speaking of projects. I just finished rebuild an engine on my Honda CB700Cs Nighthawk. Just finished putting it all together and got to test ride it today. What a thrill can't wait to ride it more now.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:51 PM

Hunter.........Honda CB700C Nightbird. I also have a handfull of project bikes, some restored, some wee little dirt bikes to a couple antique Goldwings. Also a 1980 CB900. What year is your Nightbird?

Attached Thumbnails Removing Intake Plenum - '00 Montero-1.jpe  
Old 08-17-2020, 08:44 PM

My Nighthawk is 1986 year. She looks like this:

Not long ago she looked more this way 😁

Old 08-18-2020, 07:57 PM

That is a beautiful bike man, I've never been into motorcycles but I've always loved that specific year nighthawk for some reason.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:53 AM

Hunter.......Bet that was a fun job pulling out that inline Four and doing the rebuild or whatever repair was needed. Once you get it out and up on the table, then you can more enjoy the work......not bent over or squatting on the floor as you work. You get that timing chain adjusted right? Sometimes the adjustment instructions are confusing and you have to rely on a good ear to get her right.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:13 PM

Yep, working on the table is definitely a plus. I put it on the table in pieces and assembled it all together. That engine assembled weighs in the neighborhood of 180 lbs. I had to check myself for hernia after I wrestled it off the table and reinstalling it. It is definitely a beast to handle, but very smartly built. Got timing right on the second try while it still on the table. The beast fired right up, once I got ignition sorted out properly. Love that bike. It is comfortable, has enough power to scare the pants off of me, but not enough to do something stupid. It rides remarkably well.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:30 PM

180lbs.....I hear you.......Not so bad going "downhill" from the table to the floor, but then going horizontal with that heavy 4-Banger to get her up into the frame was the "hernia generator". Maybe you just greased up a sliding board from the table down to the frame, and just gave it a good push.......and presto, she was sitting in the frame ready for some bolts. (That would be living in a fantasy world for sure).

That bike reminds me a bit of one of my first bikes.....back in tha day when I bought a 3 yr old 1978 Honda 750-Four Super Sport......loved that bike, and wish I could find a cherry one today (and not pay fantasy-world prices). About 5 years later I snagged a big Honda CBX (inline 6 cylinder), got her running, but the beast was so friggin wide I always got cramps in my crotch (probably like trying to ride a pregnant hippo), so unfortunately I sold it. Prices on these are unreal these days.

But back to Mitsubishi talk......I will be posting an update to the "Idle Problem" thread I started.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1960StudebakerHawk
.... Maybe you just greased up a sliding board from the table down to the frame, and just gave it a good push.......and presto, she was sitting in the frame ready for some bolts.
Why didn't I think of this earlier. Definitely a better way than what I did Need to remember this if I ever have to pull it again (i sincerely hope not to do it ever again...)

Old 08-20-2020, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Naeos_Valkarian
That is a beautiful bike man, I've never been into motorcycles but I've always loved that specific year nighthawk for some reason.
Thank man. This is my first and only bike and I totally love it. I got it from Craigslist in not running condition and got it to purr. When thinks work, it's like Christmas every day of the year

Old 08-21-2020, 07:05 AM

Hunter.....Yep, dont want to pull that heavy engine again, nor do you want to mistakingly jump on that greased slide with the engine, and both of you end up stuck inside the bike frame.......as Homer would say, DOHHHHHHHH!!!!