Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Replacement Key Fobs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Default Replacement Key Fobs?

I just purchased my 2001 Mits Montero Limited from a used car dealer..... but they didn't have a key fob.... where is a good place I can find a replacement? I know I could go to a Mitsubishi Stealership, but they would charge an arm and a leg I'm sure.

Also, if I do find one elsewhere for a good price.....how do I go about matching it to my Montero? I'm sure there is some sort of "coding" that will have to be done, correct?

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, I looked around a bit and didn't find anything on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

-Clay- [8D]

Old 03-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Default RE: Replacement Key Fobs?

Clay,

I think the stealer is gonna be your only choice. I don't recall hearing of any alternatives. 4x4wire & Mitsubishi-forums are two other popular forum sites (the first being the most frequented) so maybe someone there can answer this question for you.

Alternatively do a search for Montero + Forum to find other forum sites where someone else might be able to help.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:31 PM

I do not know what you mean by "key fob." Are you talking about the controller for the remote? If so, you might be able to find one on ebay. If you want another Key, I believe it will have to be programmed to work with your truck. There is a procedure for that in the owners manual.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

I do not know what you mean by "key fob." Are you talking about the controller for the remote? If so, you might be able to find one on ebay. If you want another Key, I believe it will have to be programmed to work with your truck. There is a procedure for that in the owners manual.

Yes, "key fob" = Remote
....sorry, I didn't know what a "fob" was the first time I heard it either

Anyway, I was THINKING of buying one on Ebay, but I am hesitant since I don't know what the original looks like to begin with..... and I don't wanna lose $10-$75 bucks on something I can't even use. [X(]

Anybody that owns a 2001 Montero Limited have a picture of their fob? (I know, that sounds bad!)

I tried to have a spare key made today at WalMart and they told me it had a chip in it and they couldn't do it!
I was shocked..... mainly just cause I am used to driving my little cheap Tercel...... not used to all this leather and luxury! -lol-

Old 03-13-2006, 02:44 PM

Check eBay. I saw them on there very reasonably priced. They come with the programming instructions.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:13 PM

Go to your local Mit dealer, and find out what is the FCC code on the remote control (at least there are 3 different codes for Mits), then search on ebay for the same one.

I bought couple of them for $8.00/each. Programming is very easy and you can do it yourself, 5 minutes. My local dealer charges $125.00 for each remote, and $80.00 to program it.

Email me, and I can help you with the instruction. t2kind@yahoo.com