Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Can someone explain replacement Keys/Fobs to me?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Default Can someone explain replacement Keys/Fobs to me?

My used 2007 Outlander came with one thing to start the vehicle: the emergency key that comes with a F.A.S.T. remote. It came with no remote, no spare key, no anything. My ignition doesn't even have the little rubber cover on it for the push-to-start.

My dealership told me that a replacement key+remote would be $400, but if I had one, they could program it for me.

So I'm trying to learn my options. It would be nice to at least have keyless entry.
Ebay has items like the remote alone.
Factory 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander Smart Keyless Entry Key 3 Button Clicker | eBay

But I don't know how to program that to the vehicle, or if it even can be, because the item is Used. And if I had that remote, would the proximity push-to-start work?

Then there are remote+key combos like this one, which are more like what other cars today have.
New 2007 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Remote Key | eBay

I wouldn't be against something like that, and the price doesn't seem bad, but again it has to be programmed, I'm not sure what that would cost.

Maybe for the keyless entry, I should just go to a local car audio shop and get a remote car starter installed, maybe they could interface with the car that way. I don't even know.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'd like to have a spare key, a remote would be nice, but I'm just not sure what to use or what my options ar.e

Old 10-27-2014, 09:25 AM

I have an '07 and your first link is not what the '07 models have. You'll want the 2nd link. Give your service dept a call and ask them about re-programming used keys.

Not 100% sure on this, but the '08+ got FAST...'07 it was not available, so there is no push start. It may have come equipped with remote start, but not push to start.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 AM

The attached photo shows my current key. I thought that went with the F.A.S.T. remote?

I called my local dealer. They said the key and remote come separately. The key is approx. $100, the remote is $300, and programming the two of them is $100. So that to get another set of keys through them is $500. (guess I had forgotten to ask about the programming cost before, and had only asked about the hardware purchasing cost)

That means it's probably worthwhile to get a combination key/fob like the one that you have, since it will still be another $100 to program. But it also means they don't even know about the key in the second link... maybe they would refuse to program it? Could end up being a waste of a purchase. I'm a little nervous - but I definitely need to have a backup set of keys.

Forgot to mention I asked about used keys - all they would say is that a remote device that has been programmed, cannot be programmed again. That's a little weird to me, because on other vehicles I've used, you program the car to the key, not the key to the car... but it's probably not worth risking and getting a used key.

Attached Thumbnails Can someone explain replacement Keys/Fobs to me?-key.jpg  

Last edited by dontOverSteer; 10-27-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: additional detail
Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 PM

That looks like dumb replacement key. FAST looks like this:

Metal part stays inside the fob and goes out only for emergency door unlock when the battery is dead.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
That looks like dumb replacement key. FAST looks like this:

Metal part stays inside the fob and goes out only for emergency door unlock when the battery is dead.

Dumb as in 'stupid', or dumb as in 'lacking built in smart transponder'? Because if it's the latter, shouldn't my vehicle not start? Shouldn't the key only run the door locks and that's it?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:03 AM

See this thread:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...m-29914/page2/

Name:  Controlremoto.jpg
Views: 6520
Size:  18.5 KB

The older keys should have a transponder in the black portion of the emergency key and thus not need the fob to work. The new ones have the transponder in the fob and will only operate the car (2008+??) with the fob reversed on the key.

Youll need to confirm, but it appears the newer key and fob are backward compatible with the older cars.

Edit: To clarify, I dont have a 2007 so I dont know if it actually uses a FAST system or if its only mechanical key start with a fob/remote for the doors only.

Last edited by ckmecha; 10-28-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 AM

Okay, so this is actually starting to make sense (hurray!).

If I am understanding correctly...

What I currently have is the Emergency Key portion of the 2007 style smart/F.A.S.T. key fob combo, without the fob-remote. The key has a transponder chip in it (which is how I am able to start my car today).

There is a 2008 version available, which is what Vadimus posted, with a bare metal key and the chip entirely in the fob. I did a bit more research and it does sound people have consistently found backwards compatibility, like as shown in the thread ckmecha linked to.

Both of these fobs allow for starting the vehicle without inserting a key into the ignition, you just turn the ignition and it works. (I am missing whatever little **** when on the ignition, so I still need to find the name of that part so I can order a replacement if I want it). It's not a 'push-to-start', so it was incorrect for me to call it that.

Alternatively, there's the option of ignoring the smart key altogether, and grabbing a standard key/remote like what ccernst has.

It sounds like, in terms of options (buying on eBay and asking the dealer to program), that the best price will come from purchasing an all-in-one key/fob that is NOT a smart key.

Thank you for all the help! I'm getting in touch with some local locksmiths who *say* they can program automotive keys and give better pricing than the dealer. I'll now know going into the conversation what the key should look like (one of the above) and have a good sense of if I'm getting a good price or not.

Once I have a spare, I'll let you guys know how it works out. Thanks again!

Last edited by dontOverSteer; 10-28-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:56 AM

If I were you, I'd call the service dept to validate your vehicle was equipped with FAST, which they should tell by the VIN, before you purchase anything.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:44 AM

I have a 2007 LS and my key looks like this:
New 2007 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Remote Key | eBay

Dealer here said about $260 for a replacement key including cutting/coding to the vehicle (~$90 for that).

I know the FAST remotes are more. I'd agree to check your VIN with the service department on what you need.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:40 PM

It was brought to my attention that I didn't mention which trim I had on my Outlander. It's a 2007 Outlander XLS.

Edit: Haven't talked to the dealer yet to confirm if my vehicle has F.A.S.T. but this thread does have the part numbers for a replacement ignition switch cap, should I decide to go that route (and if anyone in the future is reading this thread).
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...er-base-46699/

Last edited by dontOverSteer; 10-28-2014 at 01:07 PM.