Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Replacing Antenna on Montero Limited 2001

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Default Replacing Antenna on Montero Limited 2001

Hi All,

First, so glad I found this forum!!! How can I replace the antenna? It will go down but won't go up without help so I am guessing something is not connected. Once you pull it a little bit it "kind of" goes up a bit. The motor is working obviously so I guess I need to replace the actual antenna.

Has anyone done that? Is it easy? Where do I purchase the part?

THANKS!

Old 09-29-2016, 01:42 PM

Before you get too involved - I would try something as simple as WD-40. It may just be sticking a little.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Silent Seed
Before you get too involved - I would try something as simple as WD-40. It may just be sticking a little.

That was the very first thing we tried. It makes a noise when you turn the car on when the antenna is supposed to go up like a bit of grinding. It doesn't make the noise when you assist the antenna up. I sprayed a TON of WD-40 but that is not helping. Thanks for the suggestion though. I viewed this video https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Yxby87zSJ4hpmQ on YouTube. I was hoping this might be my answer but would like to hear from anyone else before I do this plus not sure where to get the part.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:33 PM

The reason for the antenna not working is that the plastic ribbon inside of it may have few teeth stripped. Are you planning to replace the whole antenna assembly (with the motor) or just the portion that goes up and down? If you are going to work on the whole assembly, you will need to remove the splash guard behind the front right wheel. That will give you access to the motor assembly. If, on the other hand, you intend to only replace the moving portion of it, you can remove the retaining nut on top of the front fender. Then with the help of an assistant, you can activate the radio (so that the antenna will move up), at the same time you can pull on the metal part of it and remove the whole extendable part and the ribbon. After that place the ribbon down into the hole and have assistant turn off the radio. The motor should grab the ribbon and suck it in. Most likely you will have to repeat the process several time, because if it doesn't grip just right - the antennae will not seat fully down. So you will have to play with it for some time to get it just right.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
The reason for the antenna not working is that the plastic ribbon inside of it may have few teeth stripped. Are you planning to replace the whole antenna assembly (with the motor) or just the portion that goes up and down? If you are going to work on the whole assembly, you will need to remove the splash guard behind the front right wheel. That will give you access to the motor assembly. If, on the other hand, you intend to only replace the moving portion of it, you can remove the retaining nut on top of the front fender. Then with the help of an assistant, you can activate the radio (so that the antenna will move up), at the same time you can pull on the metal part of it and remove the whole extendable part and the ribbon. After that place the ribbon down into the hole and have assistant turn off the radio. The motor should grab the ribbon and suck it in. Most likely you will have to repeat the process several time, because if it doesn't grip just right - the antennae will not seat fully down. So you will have to play with it for some time to get it just right.
Thanks HunterD! So similar to the video! I appreciate it.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:11 AM

Where do I purchase the antenna? I saw went online but can't find an authentic Mitsubishi one without the entire motor which I don't need. I just need the antenna w/ the ribbon portion. Any suggestions? If there is one that works 100% the same and not Mitsubishi I will try that too.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:33 PM

Keep searching. Try "Montero Antenna Post". They are out there

Old 10-09-2016, 09:26 AM

I got mine from this site. Montero Antenna