Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Running Weak

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 04:59 PM

I purchased these parts at Mitsubishi Auto Parts, Up to 70 % Off | Discount OEM Factory Direct Wholesale Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse - best prices for Mistusbishi dealer only parts. Otherwise, I purchase my parts at rockauto.com.

I don't recall my egr appearing to be clogged, but it could be. I really think it is an airflow issue. Under 2000RPM I rarely have issue. Over 2000 I notice the loss of power. I see on rock auto more people are purchasing the front y mini cats more commonly. Hopefully I will get the evap lines changed this weekend and test the cat converters.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by mlduncan96
I purchased these parts at Mitsubishi Auto Parts, Up to 70 % Off | Discount OEM Factory Direct Wholesale Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse - best prices for Mistusbishi dealer only parts. Otherwise, I purchase my parts at rockauto.com.

I don't recall my egr appearing to be clogged, but it could be. I really think it is an airflow issue. Under 2000RPM I rarely have issue. Over 2000 I notice the loss of power. I see on rock auto more people are purchasing the front y mini cats more commonly. Hopefully I will get the evap lines changed this weekend and test the cat converters.
is this ****ing epic spam or what?

jesus, seb would have had a field day with you.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:31 AM

Thx for the links, but I changed the EVAP pipes today.
Right from the tank and foreward.
So since I have replaced everything and checked it going to check what I know, I'm starting to believe that it is in the engine after all.
Compression test was good but what should it be?
I played a bit with tändinställnings lamp today.
I have 3st ignition coils, one for 2nd and 5th cylinder, one for the 4th and 1st cylinder and a 6: ans and 3rd cylinder.
When I use the light on the 1.3 and 5 so it flashes quickly, but at 2, 4 and 6 flashes it is not as fast. In addition, there will be interruptions in the blinking when I accelerate the engine. And sometimes it disappears completely. But only on those who blinks slowest.
I curse myself that I was not replaced the crankshaft and camshaft sensors when I changed the timing belt.
So that's the next step, replace the sensor and the pulley to the crankshaft.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 02-12-2015, 03:54 PM

Ok, Is it possible that you can get in touch with the original owner and find out what caused the manifold to crack in the first place. It sounds like that has a lot to do with this problem. I think that one or the cracked side is blocked or obstructed in some way that would overheat the manifold in the first place.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:37 PM

EGR manifolds do sometimes get clogged up. I can't tell you what causes that, but once you clean out the passages, it should be good for long time.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 AM

You need to find out why the manifold cracked in the first place. Sounds like something is blocked like your cats.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:57 PM

First, sorry about the spam looking link. I just typed in the web address and it enhanced itself. But they do offer great prices on dealer only parts. I have called to get part numbers when they are not listed and they are very helpful.

Second, I believe I the solution my problem. I have new gas lines that go in the rear fender, but I don't have a garage I can pull inside to install the new setup. With our winter storm my fender well is iced over solid and my Montero is running near perfect. All my evap lines in the fender well are rusted out and a section of the fill line was replaced with rubber hose. I didn't realize that until the new one arrived. There is A LOT of lines I was missing. I am excited for the first 40 degree day to go out and install my new filler and evap line assembly. I would pull the cover off, if it is still there, and check those lines if your Montero runs rough. Warm wishes.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:59 AM

I think i got it... :-) BRB.... :-)

Old 02-19-2015, 09:04 AM

So a little update and a solution to my problem. :-)

Since I could not ignore the fact that the strobe light is not lit properly all the time so I tore down the timing belt again. Everything looked good.
But I decided to remove the crankshaft timing belt sprocket.
And there was the problem, it took me 2 hours to get it off the crankshaft.
Inside it had come off a bit, so crankshaft sprocket could move almost 10mm.
The wedge was half, so it was just pure luck that it did not go off completely.
The pins that hold the sensor plate was broken and the spacer was broken.
The sensor plate had worn on the crankshaft sensor.
New sensor, sensor plate, washer, wedge and crankshaft sprocket.
And none of this could be seen without remove the crankshaft sprocket.
Now it goes like a dream. :-)
How many hours expended for something so simple really.
You learn as long as you live.
* :-)
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 PM

Absolutely awesome job!!! Congrats to figuring and fixing the problem you had.
I bet it doing the timing belt second time is much easier

Quick Reply: Running Weak