Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Shift solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 PM
Default Shift solenoid?

My 2003 Montero Limited is having transmission issues. My daughter was driving it and when accelerating from a stop, it wasn't shifting gears until very late, etc. It also threw a code for the input/output shaft speed sensors. I've replaced both of those sensors. I haven't test driven it, because now it won't shift into reverse. The shifter will select park and nuetral, but when in reverse, it just like it's in neutral. When I select drive, it engages drive, although I haven't driven it yet to see if it shifts correctly, maybe later on I will pull it out of the driveway, so I can drive it forward.

Fluid level is at a reasonable level.

I had my daughter shift it into reverse while I was underneath and I hear a buzzing noise that lasts for several seconds each time you select reverse. (engine is off). It sounds like an electrical buzzing noise. I also can't really tell where the sound is coming from, so I guess it's on the top of the transmission (ugh). Do all Montero Limited make a buzzing noise when selecting reverse? Or should it just be a click of a solenoid activating? (can someone give that a try). The sound is definitely not inside the cabin.

Is it possible to replace the shift solenoid with the transmission in? (maybe tilt the transmission down or something?) I can't find anyting online about this, it must be an unusual problem.

thanks,
John S.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:13 PM

One more detail. The electronic buzzing noise made when shifting from neutral to drive is different than the sound made switching from neutral to reverse. Similar, but different.

Is there a solendoid for each gear shift? 1 - 2, 2 - 3, 3-4, etc?

Old 07-11-2023, 11:59 PM

Has this been resolved? I encountered this exact same problem (symptoms) described here. I checked the solenoids and they are not humming when 12V is applied directly, just the normal clicking sound. but when the solenoid is connected back to the harness, it hums for about 3 seconds when shifting from Neutral to Reverse and also from Neutral to Drive, with the Reverse and Drive shifting producing slightly different sounds as the hum comes from 2 different solenoids.
I am suspecting that the TCM is actually triggering the solenoid with pulsating signal. but could it be that the wiring harness is already starting to fail and delivering low signal voltage?

Old 08-21-2023, 02:41 AM

Any update?

Last edited by CarrieWilliams; 03-22-2024 at 06:08 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by eppgarcia
Has this been resolved? I encountered this exact same problem (symptoms) described here. I checked the solenoids and they are not humming when 12V is applied directly, just the normal clicking sound. but when the solenoid is connected back to the harness, it hums for about 3 seconds when shifting from Neutral to Reverse and also from Neutral to Drive, with the Reverse and Drive shifting producing slightly different sounds as the hum comes from 2 different solenoids.
I am suspecting that the TCM is actually triggering the solenoid with pulsating signal. but could it be that the wiring harness is already starting to fail and delivering low signal voltage?
Did you figure your problem out?

I've got a 2002 Delica that is acting up. I think the montero/pajero might use the same V4A51 transmission in some models? Mines got a 3.0L V6 and 4spd auto.
I have a buzzing in the transmission when shifting in or out of drive and reverse. It does it also when turning off the hold button on the dash. I noticed this buzzing for a while and thought nothing of it until recently the transmission acts up like it's low on fluid. Out of the blue one day I backed out of the drive way and started driving downhill and it just revved up. I shifted to neutral for a few seconds then back to drive and it drove about a car length then back to acting like it was out of fluid/no drive. The shift indicator light was flashing and when shifting into drive or reverse it'd bang pretty hard.
I pulled a code 41 from the tcm which said 1 st gear not synced. After I cleared the code the banging into gear stopped immediately but it's still not driveable for more than a few feet.

I'm hoping it's just a bad reverse/Low gear solenoid or?? I haven't had time to check the wiring harness or pull the pan off yet. The fluid is clean and not low, if anything it might be a bit overfilled.
I found this thread the other day that might be useful to others https://www.delicaclub.com/viewtopic...f1a3c701986ba8