Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Spare tire cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Default Spare tire cover removal

My first Montero post! Just bought a high mileage 2005 Montero. I looked in the owner manual, but it wasn't helpful. How do I remove the hard plastic spare tire cover? I pulled on some plastic spring-loaded pins at the bottom of the cover and tugged on the bottom. It releases a few inches and then stops. I am reluctant to pull to hard since I'm sure I will break something. Does it just pivot up or is there some hidden latch somewhere? I've only owned it 2 days and don't want to break the cover.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 10-27-2017, 01:01 PM

You are on the right track. Pull out spring loaded pins (I'm amazed your '05 still has them), then grab the wheel cover by the bottom edge and pull straight out. It will slip off the wheel. The cover is designed to hook on the top of the bracket to stay in place. It will only come off when you move the bottom past the tire and you can tilt the cover forward.
I find it is easier to do this when the trunk door is open all the way. That way you can get a better grip on the cover and see which way it is going.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:24 AM

HunterD,

Thanks for the response. It was really stuck in place, but I convinced it to come off. The tire under the cover looked new--but very old. I think the rubber had bonded with the tire cover.

Thanks again,
Richard

Old 03-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Default Montero Limited fasteners installation

Hello- I searched and found your post regarding removal of the hard shell spare tire cover. When I purchased my 2003 the cover was missing. I ordered the fasteners from a Mitsubishi dealer.
The kit had two spring loaded fasteners, two clips that mount on the base of the cover mount attached to the vehicle.
OK, the mechanics seems straightforward,however they have sent me two plastic washers too.
well the head on the spring fasteners has two barbs which you obviously turn to lock into the female clip on the car.
But the hole on the washer is to small to attach to the ****** spring tensioner.
Does anyone know were these go.
Thanks for your help.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Buster1
Hello- I searched and found your post regarding removal of the hard shell spare tire cover. When I purchased my 2003 the cover was missing. I ordered the fasteners from a Mitsubishi dealer.
The kit had two spring loaded fasteners, two clips that mount on the base of the cover mount attached to the vehicle.
OK, the mechanics seems straightforward,however they have sent me two plastic washers too.
well the head on the spring fasteners has two barbs which you obviously turn to lock into the female clip on the car.
But the hole on the washer is to small to attach to the ****** spring tensioner.
Does anyone know were these go.
Thanks for your help.
I have a 2002. Don’t use those washers, those washers didn’t work for me because they prevented the spring-loaded screws from inserting all the way. When the spring-loaded screw is in place, you shouldn’t see any gap.