Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Spare Tire Carrier Removal. 01' Montero LTD. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Default Spare Tire Carrier Removal. 01' Montero LTD. Need help.

Im trying to remove the spare tire carrier on my 2001 Montero Ltd because I sheared off a lug nut(or two)when I was trying to change a flat tire. There are four external(outside of door)facing bolts which I have removed. There are also two internal(inside of door)facing screws that I have unscrewed but the bottom two "bolts" where the carrier connects to the doorwill not budge. These are the same two where the internal facing screws came out of. I thought it was just stuck in there so I've been giving it a bit of "elbow grease" but it seems like something else is keeping this thing stuck on there. Any suggestions at all? Thx in advance. Tim

Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Default RE: Spare Tire Carrier Removal. 01' Montero LTD. Need help.

I know the bolts you are talking about. I guess mitsu did this to prevent theft of wheel and carrier. I dont have experience with the removal process but the bolts may be pressed into the carrier and may not come out unless you take a nammer to it once its off the truck. Can you look on the inside and see if there is a gap between the door sheet metal and the bolt? Im thinking that if you tap on the bolt and have someone support/pull the carrier that it will come off the door. Spray some penetrant in the area (from inside the door) and let soak overnight. Also, thread nut on bolt before tapping with hammer to prevent thread damage. Again, I dont know if this will get it, but when I looked at mine it looked like that is how it was set up.

And of course, worst case, take angle grinder or drill to bottom bolts and drill away the bottom bolts to carrier - but that would be last resort and probably not necessary...

Old 05-05-2008, 06:03 PM

I think you are right about this being some sort of anti-theft design. I can't seem to get any gap between the carrier and the door sheet metal. Its pretty well secured on there. I will give the penetrant a shot. Hopefully I wont have to resort to drilling it. Thanks TJ. Ill post on how well this goes. At the very least I might be able to tell people how not to do it.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 PM

Another "less than elegant" fix if all else fails -

Perhaps you could drill out and re-tap the broken studs and then attach the spare with bolts instead of lug nuts? Actually there may be male lug "nuts" that might fit - most parts stores have a sleection.

Wouldn't feel as good as doing it the right way as you are attempting but perhaps is an alternative.

Ron