Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

swapping speedometer cluster...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:27 PM
Default swapping speedometer cluster...

hey so my 99 montero g2.5 cold weather edition took a dump on me. I took out several parts, including the dash instrument cluster (speedometer, odometer, tachometer, etc). I recently bought a base model 99 Montero full size. I'm getting 0421 and 0431 on the latest Montero, but no Check Engine Light. It illuminates during startup / acc mode, but no CEL for the two cat codes. Thinking it was somehow disabled by the previous owner? I want to just swap out the whole speedo / odo / tach cluster, since my g2.5 CEL worked way too well...if ya know what I mean. Any thoughts?

the g2.5 has 120k showing on the odo, the base model has 191k. Anyone have experience swapping out this cluster? I know it's just wire harnesses and a couple screws, and seems like an easy swap. Just curious if it has some kind of auto detection built in, since that would be an easy way to fake the amount of miles a vehicle has??

also, the base has an alarm, seems aftermarket because no wiring harness, it has a blue LED built into the instrument cluster. Any advice on bypassing that? will it not start? will it screw up the keyless entry?

as far as my 0421 and 0431, looks like I'm gonna need two new cats? I've read all the posts re these two codes, and think that a properly working CEL is at least a first step towards the long road of fixing the issues causing them. The engine is clean, no signs of any oil leaks, but it seems like it's burning oil. 1qt per 700 miles or so. Thinking there's a valve cover leak into the pistons, which has fouled the cats. Sound about right?

The Montero drives great, and is in showroom condition. It's my third montero. Love the car, but man, getting them to pass smog in SoCal sure is a headache.

Thanks in advance....