Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Timing belt replacement and tensioners.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Default RE: Timing belt replacement and tensioners.

I bet the squeeking is coming from a serpentine belt pulley bearing. Its exposed on the exterior of the engine. Mine was squeeking at 60k. You either need to replace the pulley or relube it. An automotive stethiscope is good to isolate problems like that. Spray some penetrant or spray lube at the pulley hubs to see if the problem goes away. That will be a temporary fix until you can actually remove the pulley and eithr replace or lube it more. Of course, stay away from fan, belt and dont wear loose clothing if you are spraying a pulley while the engine is running. At first, I was periodically sprayed my pulley every 5k miles, before I replaced it cause I was tired of hearing the noise. They are easy to replace at the time you are doing the timing belt.

Also, if Mitsu recommends change after 60k and you dont do it - do you think your warranty will cover you? Im not a warranty expert, but I think that would give Mitsu an out and claim that you neglected periodic maintenance. Kind of like if you seezed the motor due to not changing the oil, would mitsu cover the replacement of the engine?

Practically speaking, with belt longevity, you are probably OK - but Im an **** type and could not sleep at night knowing the belt is alreay 20k over its change interval... Im glad I at least checked my belt tension - the belt was loose inside the motor! If you are the mechancial type and removing the serpentine belt to service the squeeky pulley, remove a few more bolts and at least inspect the timing belt - only costs you another hour...

Old 02-13-2007, 01:32 PM

Well I have an aftermarket warrenty not a Mitsubishi warrenty, and there is really no way of going back in time to replace the belt at 60K. I have to keep up on the maintenanace and it says to replace @ 100K which is what I am shooting for, as long as I keep up on the upcoming maintenance I have done my part.

I am like you being ****, but I don't have 900+ dollars for the repair, I just spent 11K on the car.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:58 PM

I had to laugh at your "go back in time" comment. If your belt fails your warranty will not cover the repair, since you should have replaced it at 60k. 5 years and 83k miles on a car with an unknown history? I would change the belt now. Belt, water pump, and idler pulley's. You don't need to have the dealer do it. Go to a good independant shop.

If you want to determine if the squeek is coming from your serpentine belt, just remove it and start your car. You don't need your alternator running, if you only run your truck for a few minutes.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:40 PM

I don't think anyone understands...I got the car at 81,9--K miles and purchased the aftermarket warrenty for and additional $2,000 to the price of the car for "assurance" for the road ahead. The owners manual "recomends" timing belt replacement @ 60K and "requires" it @ 100K.

I am going to call the warrenty place when I have time so they can clarrify, although I don't forsee them expecting me to catch up on mauntenance that no one is "sure" has or has not occured.

I am confused, isn't there a timing belt and a serpentine belt? The serp belt looks new, I can see that. The squeeking noise is coming from where there does not seem to be any serp belt pullys, rather further in the engine bay.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:32 PM

Well my initial thoughts were correct, they don't expect me to verify anything has been done in the past, just that I keep up with any maintenance that is upcoming. So I guess I'll see if it goes before I replace the belt .

As far as the noise I am hearing, what are all of the pullys called that the timing belt is attached to?

Old 02-14-2007, 02:28 PM

No, I understood, I was just wrong about the terms of the warranty. Anyway, as far as the pulley's I believe they are called the tensionser pulley and the idler pulley. When I recently replaced my timing belt, I purchased something called a timing belt replacement "Kit". It included a timing belt and the two pulleys(in one package). It was Goodyear brand, and the discount price was about $85. IIRC.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:47 PM

Winshawn - You actually found an aftermarket timing belt replacement kit? I went OEM cause part houses I called did not have any parts for this vehicle. Of course, doing the $60k service myself was almost $700 in parts alone - but I did everything - plugs, wires, plenum gasket etc - except timing belt pulleys.

As far as the sqeak, if you are convinced its not the serpentine belt rather the timing belt, I suggest you change the belt and pulleys ASAP. Check the previous posts, if a dry bearing on the pulley fails on the timing belt, its a complete top end rebuild for you. Im not aware of a way to service those pulleys - just replace them...

Old 02-15-2007, 02:22 PM

Winshawn - You actually found an aftermarket timing belt replacement kit?
I searched online and found a few kits from $65 - $200 (one was Gates, and I don't remember the other) which did include the pullys as well.

I was looking into the squeek a bit more and sometimes it happens and others I don't hear it, although I have figured out that it is the Power Steering pump pully or the pump itself making noise. I'll keep an eye on it in case it actually does seem to come from the Timing Belt.
I have the warrenty so I am not too concerned at this time.

Thanks for all of the tips...

Winshawn - do you have a procedure you used for the R&R of the Timing belt? What resources were helpful for you?