Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Timing, Rod, Bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Default Timing, Rod, Bearing??

I've been reading through the forums trying to find my own answers, and didn't come across anything just like my situation, so I've decided to just start a new thread. My wife drives an 02 Montero Sport 3.5l 4x2. It has about 97k on it. She bought it used, so I don't know about past maintainance being done (ie timing belt, but I assume no). Lately she has been getting an intermitent oil light, and what sounds like lifter noise. I've gathered from reading that these engines usually make some lifter noise, which hers does, but when it's acting up it's quite a bit worse. It has an oil leak that has us keep a pretty close eye on the oil and oil changes, from what I assume is the cam seals. A couple days ago it started to make the lifter noise again, and before she could stop and check oil it started making some new kind of noise that it hadn't before. She called me and tried to let me listen to the sound, but it wasn't clear over the phone. Right after the truck stalled. She got it started and pulled into the nearest spot and We had it towed, and that's how it sits now. I havent tried i to start it for fear of doing more damage. I've read quite a few posts on timing belt breaks, but never found an answer for if it would start/run with a broken belt. I'm thinking a connecting rod, or something similar. What can I check, and where/how do I look to get a better Idea of what's wrong before I start up the cash fountain to get it fixed... Thanks!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Default RE: Timing, Rod, Bearing??

Just started it up to listen. As near as I can tell it sounds like it's coming from the middle, probably towards the bottom. Starts off as a fairly loud fast paced knock. As the idle drops down it gets noticably quieter. Increase the rpms and it gets louder, speeds up, and sounds more like a rattling knocking, tapping with what sounded like a little squeeking. I'm thinking of flushing and changing the oil to see what that does and putting on a Mitsu filter that I now have learned they like much better.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:25 PM

Good luck with the problem. Hopefully someone on the board can give you some advice...

Old 01-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

Possibly a loose pulley (trying to be optamistic)

More than likely the motor is shot. Holy crap, with that amount of miles, the previous owner must have abused the hell out of it.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:20 AM

pull the top cam belt cover turn the crank and see if the timing belt marks line up the rattle knock could be a water pump sounds like the belt adjuster could also be bad

Old 01-31-2008, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: savtx
Starts off as a fairly loud fast paced knock. As the idle drops down it gets noticably quieter. Increase the rpms and it gets louder, speeds up, and sounds more like a rattling knocking, tapping with what sounded like a little squeeking.
Sure sounds like a description of a bad connecting rod bearing to me.