Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Trailer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Default Trailer Wiring

I just installed a tow bar on my 2006 Pajero and need to wire in a plug for the lights. Haven't done this job in over a decade and was wondering if vehicles were set-up different to make this job easier such as having a junction box or seperate loom plug I could tap into.

In the old days we just ran a cable into the tail light cavity and spliced in what wires we needed (ie brake, parking light, turn signal left & right + ground). Thinking there might be an easier way to do now.

Advice or suggestions?

jim

Old 07-16-2014, 08:42 PM

I found a wiring harness for trailer wiring for Montero/Pajero online. It plugs in between the plug on the vehicle's wire harness and one of the tail lights. After that you just run a wire down and out to the trailer connector location. No cutting or splicing needed, easy install and can be removed if needed. The harness looks kind of like this image:
http://b.cdnbrm.com/images/products/..._connector.jpg

I don't know what is available in NZ, but do a search for Pajero Trailer Wiring Harness and I'm sure you'll find one.
Another option, of course is to splice some wires to the tail light connectors.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:26 PM

Thanks for that. I'll check around and see if available here as its a much cleaner option.

I hope to keep truck for a few years and then probably on-sell. When I do most likley I'll pull tow bar off and import the same model again from Japan. Mine is a 2006 but will try and get same thing except a few years newer.

jim

Old 07-20-2014, 03:28 PM

I wired up the trailer plug over the weekend and went fairly well. Decided to cut and splice the harness feed into LH rear light as I could water proof and tuck all away in the provided cubby hole.

The determining reason for cutting into harness was a concen that I may need to install an isolation module which acts as an interface between truck lights and trailer. Apparently this is needed on modern vehicles so that the ABS and traction control is not interfered with. First I've ever heard about these and not sure if my Pajero requires this. Haven't tested wiring yet with trailer lights so not sure if it will throw codes.

Does anyone know the name of this module and if required?

jim