Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Default Transmission problem

Hey guys I just joined this site and i was wondering if u guys can help me out a bit. I have a 02 Montero Ltd. With the AC on if i put the shifter in Neutral for a few seconds and then put it in Drive the car will jerk once and the jerk is pretty strong. However it doesn't do that if the AC is off. It didn't do this at first and it is not really a big problem because i hardly ever put the shifter in Neutral and then put in Drive but I was just wondering if this is a problem with my transmission. The car drives fine other than this. I have 31000 miles on it and thinking about changing the transmission fluid now. Anyone had similar problems????? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Banned
Default RE: Transmission problem

I dont think its a problem with your trans.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:55 PM

Does your idle speed change when you turn off the AC?

Clean out your throttle body.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Default Mine does the same thing

I have a 97 Montero Sport. If I have the air on and I am stopped at a red light, all of the sudden it will jerk, almost like I was lightly tapped by another car in the back. My idle flucuates when I have the air on and when I have it off. Idles higher when it is on. I will check the throttle body. Is there any easy way to do this, or do I need to bring it to the garage?

Old 08-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Default RE: Mine does the same thing

To clean my throttle body (1990 3.0 v6... your is probably similar) I start by removing the air intake hose from the throttle body. I then use a lint free cloth to clean out the inside of the throttle body (TB). I do this when the engine is cold and lightly soak the cloth in a small amount of gasoline to allow the dust within the TB to stick to the cloth.

Not sure about carb cleaners but I was told not to use them as they are too harsh and will destroy some of the gaskets/seals in the TB. Maybe someone who's more knowledgeable can chime in on this. Regardless gas does a good job and evaporates quickly. I do let it air out for 10-15 minutes to let the gas fumes disippate.

While I'm cleaning this, I also remove my ISC/ICS (Idle speed control servo/Idle control servo) and clean the dirt off of it.

During re-assembly of the air intake tube, I ensure the small tube that goes between it and my valve cover vent is put back in place.

HTH.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:06 PM

Key item is to remove the ISC motor and clean out the ports around it.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 PM

Sounds like there are more ports in the ISC opening of his intake than on my 90's intake. I can't be 100% sure but IIRC, there's only one hole where the ISC hole is but I may be wrong on that. I should point out however that where the intake hose is, there are a few more openings/surface area that does accumulate dust, oil, etc. from the intake system. The butterfly valve itself sometimes accumulates a tremendous amount of dust which I've been told will affect how the engine runs. How much, I'm not sure but I try and keep it clean as well.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:31 AM

I had the same problem and it also started shuttering when down shifting around 40 MPH and I took it in and they said to change the transmission fluid which they would do for $230, because it takes a special fluid. If I do it somewhere else without their fluid it would void the warranty. They changed the fluid and no change. They finally had to replace the torque converter and refund me the $230. You may want to have the converter checked.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 PM

For mitsu only fluid, you can simply buy it from the dealer, then bring it to a local lube place that will replace it via a flush method versus a drain and fill.

I have this service performed annually because I frequently wheel my vehicle on extreme trails that really work the transmission.

I have it done at Speedy Oil & Tuneup where I know the owners. I don't get any discount ($75 job IIRC) but I know they know what they're doing.

Fortunately, mine isn't as finicky as the newer tranny's.

Whatever you do, don't use something like Mobil One or you will be rebuilding your tranny in short order.