Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Vibration When Driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Default Vibration When Driving

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS. After drving a few miles it will develop a vibration that seems to be coming from the rear drive train. If the brakes are applied during the vibration the car vibrates worse, as if the rotors suddenly were warped. Once the car is driven a few miles further the vibration goes away. It will come and go a few times during a 20 mile drive.

My rear rotors are slightly warped. COuld this be the cause of the problem? If not, can anyone help?

thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Default RE: Vibration When Driving

warped brakes will add to the problem. but for it to suddenly start out of nowhere is odd. when was your last brake job? maby check a loose caliper. there could be lots of reasons why. to me it sounds serious to take it to a professional at least for a diagnosis

Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 PM

Because it's AWD, I would check your tires. If the tires are different brand, sizes, or are visibly worn at different rates, that is most likely causing the vibration. I have a 2002 Montero Sport XLS, and experienced the same thing right after I bought it. New tires fixed it.
It's something to check out, at the very least!
Jared

Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM

Hey just a thought, but you may want to check you bearings or seals behind the rear hubs, if they are going bad it would cause it to come and go and different speeds, also the tires would cause a vibration if the balance is off but you will only notice the vibrationat certain speeds, my truck is doing that now on the right rear.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Default Vibration in drive train thats intermittent

1999 Montero sport xls here while replacing the exhaust i noted a balancer block on the back of the transmission and while inspecting the universal joints i noted a grease fitting , as far as wheel bearings or hubs thats not the issue and tires are not out of balance this is rear or transmission damping some a bearing a bushing it happens un provoked during a 40 ir 50 mph cruise without any acceleration or provocation it comes and goes , no individual action causes it or makes it occur manually . it can't be caused or intentionally caused by driving its something worn out after 20 plus years . axles don't leak but it still may be something related i have checked the differential and added gear oil as needed . any Mitsubishi qualified ideas would be great .