Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Water leak between transmission and engine block

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Default Water leak between transmission and engine block

Hi all, newbie first time owner.

I took the montero/pajero out for my first long drive, and as i got to the end, the temp started to creep up. I immediately stopped and cooled the radiator, and filled up with water. I had to get back to the city so I ran the car, starting and stopping every 2 hours or so, filling up with water until i got the car back to the city. In no case did the temp reach the red mark. I stopped as soon as the temp hit half, then cooled the radiator, refilled with water, ran it without the cap for a bit, put the cap back on and went on my way. This went on every 2 hours of driving until I was back in the city.

I have a gen 2.5 with a 3.5L V6 24 Valve engine.

There is a water leak that shows up at the rear of the engine near the firewall and drips from the bolt at the bottom of the transmission.

Here is photo which I got off the net, credit to the photo owner. The leak spots are encircled in yellow
[img=http://s13.postimg.org/7uhip92zn/23102011.jpg]

It drips at a rate of about a liter per hour when running, and about a liter every three hours when not running (parked). The temperature gauge shows half after about an hour and a half of driving, stays there for 15 minutes, then creeps up to 3/4 within ten minutes after that. Once the temp reaches the half mark, I stop the car, let it cool and fill up the radiator. it usually is 2 liters short.

If you take of the cover of the transmission near the leak, you can feel around inside for the flywheel.

The motor runs smooth, has great acceleration and is very quiet, no knocking nor grinding sounds. the tranny shifts fine as well.

I have changed the radiator cap, hoping that would be the problem, but it wasn't. i think that it made the leak worse because of the added pressure.

I have had the whole manifold, including fuel rails removed to check for leaks on the pipe inside the "v" of the engine. There is no water/coolant stuck within the "v" of the engine. Would it still be possible that the water be coming from the water pump or the o-ring?

After removing the whole intake manifold, we observed the car for over 2 hours. The water leak from the transmission area was still there. dripping at the rate above. There was no visible dripping water coming from the bypass hose, the pipes behind the engine nor the pipe in the "v". on the right side of the engine there are no traces that the top of the bell housing is getting wet. Is it possible that there are dripping pipes that you cannot see, even with the whole intake manifold removed?

there is no mixing of water with oil in the radiator. The engine oil is fine and there is no foam or any milky stuff. Is it possible that there is a crack in the block that seeps outside the block and not inside? Would the dripping persist even if the engine is off and there is no pressure in the system? Or maybe there is a water jacket at the back of the block that we cannot see?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

bingo

Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 AM

i commend you on the level of detail, and intelligence of your post. a rarity.

Unfortunately, cant be much help without getting under it.
Unfortunately also, youre likely going to have to pull the engine to actually find the leak.
You CAN run it with the radiator cap loose, only quarter engaged (not pressurised at all). You sound diligent enough that it would be fairly safe. Until you can get it done proper.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 PM

I thought that would be the problem, and the solution.

Its going to be a PITA, but I guess that would be the only way to get it done.

Here's hoping its not a cracked block.

Thanks Akzle

Old 05-23-2014, 01:48 AM

Took down the engine. And it was a busted core plug (the local term here is water jacket).

Here is a picture.

http://s2.postimg.org/acw08pti1/busted_core_plug.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help

Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 AM

replace them ALL with brass ones.