Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

05 Outlander Runs Great but Trouble Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 PM
Default 05 Outlander Runs Great but Trouble Starting

Hi everyone, I'm glad I found this forum and its wealth of knowledge on our vehicles. I've already spent hours here browsing topics.

I just purchased a 2005 outlander 2.4 4cly with 142,000 miles. The car runs great, its very smooth, no warning lights.

The only problem I am having is that when I'm driving it and then park it for a short period of time (running into a grocery store or getting gas) then go to start it, the car will crank and crank and crank and not start, then I'll let it sit for a minute, reengage the ignition and leave it for a few seconds, then crank it over and it will crank and crank and begin to sputter and then finally start up. Once its going it runs beautifully.

When I park it overnight and come out in the morning, or park it at work then come out 4 hours later, it will crank for just a second and then start right up nice and strong the way it should.

If anyone is familiar with this issue, or has any words of advice or an idea of what could be causing this problem, I'd love to hear it. There's a Mitsubishi dealer right down the street from me and I'll probably go pick there brains tomorrow, but I figured I'd ask here and see what you all think.

Cheers

Old 04-19-2016, 08:21 PM

Hi,
Have you tried using a code reader, it's sounds like it could be EVAP Purge solenoid, it will show a P0441 code.
If that's the problem, you can replace it yourself, it's located on the backside near cylinder head on the left hand side when looking under the hood (passengers side).
Hope this helps.
Brian

Old 04-24-2016, 03:00 PM

Hi,
You were looking for words of advice or an idea of what could be causing this problem, I'd love to hear it.
Feed back is always good, did you fix the problem.
Brian

Old 05-06-2016, 07:11 PM

EGR stuck open or clog

Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 PM

You get members looking for help, you try and help and they never respond, sometimes I wonder why we bother.
I always like to respond , as most members here give good advice and it's always appreciated by me, and I'm sure by others.

Brian