Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

07 Outlander XLS - front suspension spring broke, need replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Default 07 Outlander XLS - front suspension spring broke, need replacement

As luck would have it, my driver's side front spring snapped one month after going out of warranty (the 5 year one) on a 2007 Outlander XLS. I'm in Canada (GTA) and I'm looking for a place to buy stock height springs to replace the front ones.

Dealer asks for 150 + tax a piece, but they also don't have them in stock, so I'm looking at a couple of weeks delay, they say.

Any ideas where to get stock height springs for the 07 Outlander? Short of parts from autowreckers (which I'm also keeping my eyes open for), what other options do I have? Are there any compatible springs out there (from other brands, maybe)?

Thanks for any pointers/advice.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM

I know H&R makes lowering springs (not much though, like 1 or 1.5 inch) so they might be a good place to start. Check their site and see if they make stock springs as well.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:13 AM

They cost half that.

Spring: $76.34

Mitsubishi Car Parts | Genuine OEM Mitsubishi Car Parts & Accessories | Lancer, Evolution, Galant, Eclipse, Outlander, Endeavor, i-MiEV, Outlander Sport

Mitsubishi
Outlander
XLS 3.0
Front Suspension
Struts & Components
Spring

Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 PM

Thanks, that's a good price, I'll keep a bookmark for that site on hand, much better than anything I managed to find until now.

Originally Posted by tdford
They cost half that.

Spring: $76.34

Mitsubishi Car Parts | Genuine OEM Mitsubishi Car Parts & Accessories | Lancer, Evolution, Galant, Eclipse, Outlander, Endeavor, i-MiEV, Outlander Sport

Mitsubishi
Outlander
XLS 3.0
Front Suspension
Struts & Components
Spring

Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by babacu
As luck would have it, my driver's side front spring snapped one month after going out of warranty (the 5 year one) on a 2007 Outlander XLS. I'm in Canada (GTA) and I'm looking for a place to buy stock height springs to replace the front ones.

Dealer asks for 150 + tax a piece, but they also don't have them in stock, so I'm looking at a couple of weeks delay, they say.

Any ideas where to get stock height springs for the 07 Outlander? Short of parts from autowreckers (which I'm also keeping my eyes open for), what other options do I have? Are there any compatible springs out there (from other brands, maybe)?

Thanks for any pointers/advice.
Does the $150 quote include the labor? Or is it just for the part?

Old 12-24-2012, 08:54 PM

I have total same case as yours. Driver's side spring broken just out of warranty. Dealer asked 1000cad to replace the spring and strut. Can you please share information to me? I am in Toronto.

Thanks.

Last edited by jshi08; 12-24-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jshi08
I have total same case as yours. Driver's side spring broken just out of warranty. Dealer asked 1000cad to replace the spring and strut. Can you please share information to me? I am in Toronto.

Thanks.
Ouch, sorry to hear this. Pretty much the same story, the dealer in Whitby, ON asked me for over 1000 to replace both springs (they have to be replaced in pairs) along with some other parts (they always recommend replacing more than it's actually needed, IMO). The prices they gave me were 153 for the springs (each), 98 for the insulators and some change for the other parts. A big cost is the work (they'll quote you for 2 hours per side, plus an alignment at the end). All these add up to north of 1k.

I first bought the left spring assembly from a wrecker (spring & strut, a car with roughly 100k kms on the odometer), hoping I'd end up with a cheaper fix, as replacing the broken spring with a used one would have allowed me to not replace the other one, too. I ended up getting it from Calgary (missed two deals in Toronto by a day), waited a week for it to be shipped, only to find out, when taking the car to a private mechanic, that the other spring broke exactly the same way. Only 10km driven from the time the first one broke.

So, 2 weeks later and both springs broken, I gave up and ordered new springs from the dealer in Richmond Hill. They told me they are out of stock (same story everywhere I asked) but they'd try to speed things out. Funny thing, the next day they call me they got my springs. It turns out the deposit sent them replacements with a different part number (the newer version), that turns out were easily available (and are also used in other cars). Nobody knew of this, apparently, or didn't want to tell me. The guys in Richmond Hill offered to replace the springs (only) for about 200 (2 hours of work), since I got the springs from them. That would have been a good deal, but I ended up going to a private mechanic in Ajax, much closer to home, didn't feel like driving the car with the broken springs to Richmond Hill.

Now, for some details that you might find useful:
- used spring assembly (with the strut, spring): around 150 (depending on where you find it)
- time quoted to replace that assembly (no spring compression needed, so you could do it yourself if you have a bit of skill): 1h

I still have the left spring assembly, if you're interested, although I would not recommend going this route, as you might end up repeating my story. :-)

- original part for the 07 XLS: 4040A097 - 152.87 at the dealer
- insulator, front susp: MN101372 - 97.88 at the dealer
- bearing, fr strut: MR272946 - 15.37 at the dealer
- springs I received: 4040A192. You'll find they're used in some Jeeps/dodges, too, and you'll probably be able to get them cheaper if you're lucky and don't need them quickly (see the site in one of the replies I received, too, for better options).
- time to replace the springs: about 2h per side, 1.5 if they're nicer. 1h per side at the Richmond Hill shop if you get the springs from them

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2012, 06:37 PM

Thanks for your info.
I will get the new parts. The problem is I have not asked them 1000CAD for both springs or for one spring and one strut. The mechanic told to replace spring with strut together. It's too expensive for one side. I have to check. The site with picture may be the choice.
Thanks again.