Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

07 XLS 4WD - Seatbelt warning chime

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Default RE: 07 XLS 4WD - Seatbelt warning chime

Just cut the passenger side seat belt apart and put it in the the driver side. You will have your full driver seat belt when you need it and have just the metal end to pop in there for them short drives.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:41 PM

... found it (not a fuse but an easy fix) give me a little while for pictures and a description.

(This will not work for JMC's "special" vehicle [8D])

Scott

Old 04-13-2007, 08:43 PM
JMC

What the hell does that mean? God you are such a tool

Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 PM

Alright here is the fix

Under the drivers seat there are 5 connectors, starting at the center console working towards the drivers door we want the second connector, it has 4 wires, and is black. The first one is yellow, stay away from yellow connectors. (See the first 2 pictures)

[ul][*]
Unplug this second connector[/align][*]
Remove the center of this connector, I used a sharp knife and it just pulled out, very easy.[/align][*]
Then use a small jewelers screwdriver, pin, nail or such and release the tab on the yellow wire with the green stripe. (push in from the front of the connector where the center part was, the connector will pull out by the wire. (See the pictures)[/align][*]
Pull this wire out the back. (See the pictures)[/align][*]
Put the center plastic part back into the connector (See the final picture)[/align][*]
Tape off the pulled yellow/green wire connector, and push it into the black sleeve for hiding and safe keeping. This keeps things looking very stock.[/align][*]
Then plug the connector back in and you are done.[/align][/ul]

This is all made much easier if you push the drivers seat all the way back.

My tests showed that the drivers seatbelt would show an open with the yellow/green and black/gold wires when engaged, and a short when removed, this made this a very simple and easy fix.

If you completely removed the connector it would leave an airbag warning light on.

**** Give this a try, but neither I, Mitsubishi, this forum, nor anyone else can be responsible for the consequences if it goes horribly wrong, or if you just stop wearing your seatbelt. I also do not encourage you to stop wearing your seatbelt, as I feel seatbelts save lives.

I have not had a lot of time to test this… but a quick run to the store and back says everything is just fine.

these show the connector we want, the console is on the left, the drivers door on the right (US/normal models)

here is the center and the pin removed

everything put back together

Scott
’07 XLS with all options except rear DVD and backup camera [8D]

Old 04-13-2007, 09:17 PM

quite frankly, Im disgusted at how people dont buckle up, then come up with silly reasons for doing so.

I deal with a LOT more seatbelt chimes than all of you together. guess what? I can cope. its really not that hard to plug in a belt if the chime annoys you. you're in the car for 30 seconds without a belt on? Buckle it. It takes exactly 1 second, leaving you with 29 non-irritaing seconds.
Most have probably noticed that the chime only chimes when the car is moving. And it eventually stops when stopped. not that big a deal.
Besides, if the chime annoys you, its doing EXACTLY what its suppost to do.

I can garantee someone here is going to attempt to "disable" this, and actually render the SRS system inoperative because of it. The SRS does need to know if you're buckled or not to deploy the airbag and seatbelt pretensioners correctly, and someone will probably randomly unplug things until the system is useless.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: JMC

What the hell does that mean? God you are such a tool
Dude, youprovide no useful purpose to these forums at all. Looking though your posts all they do is provoke people and provide no useful information. I made a reference to your 'special' vehicle, this is what YOU called it...

Perhaps you should go back to your AOL chatrooms, and leave the tech and the real question and answers to the people that are interested.I gave up internet fighting years ago, right after I learned to drive.

I for one am done with you. This will be my last response to you that is not technical, or Outlander related.

Have a pleasent day.

Scott

Old 04-13-2007, 09:20 PM
JMC

great job! Still a tool though......[:@]

Old 04-14-2007, 02:13 AM

Scott,

Thanks for the pics...how did you know what wire it was, and is this the only purpose for that wire?

Old 04-14-2007, 02:40 AM

ORIGINAL: MadisonMini

Scott,

Thanks for the pics...how did you know what wire it was, and is this the only purpose for that wire?
It was the yellow/green wire... I can only assume it was for just the seatbelt warning only, as there was another set that connected there as well that I left alone. If I messed with those it set off the airbag warning light.

I really can't see where this would cause any issues. The air bags will fire with or without your seatbelts on, they use body weight in the seats, and there is no other real reason the car needs to detect if the seatbelt is engaged (the drivers seat that is)

Scott

Old 04-14-2007, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: sbessel

ORIGINAL: MadisonMini

Scott,

It was the yellow/green wire... I can only assume it was for just the seatbelt warning only, as there was another set that connected there as well that I left alone. If I messed with those it set off the airbag warning light.

I really can't see where this would cause any issues. The air bags will fire with or without your seatbelts on, they use body weight in the seats, and there is no other real reason the car needs to detect if the seatbelt is engaged (the drivers seat that is)

Scott
no, it uses the weight of the passenger, NOT the driver.
it uses seat location to judge the power output of the drivers bag, and it MUST know if you're buckled in to correctly judge when and how to fire both the airbag AND the seatbelt tensioners (in case you didnt all know it, there is an incindiary charge on all the seatbelts to tighten them during an accident).

Quick Reply: 07 XLS 4WD - Seatbelt warning chime