Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

08 Outie Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Default 08 Outie Rattles

I know I've seen mention of it before, but I can't find it now. We have an 08 LS that has two rattles that are starting to tick me off.

1) Drivers window when partially down. If it's closed or fully down there's no noise.

2) Lower glovebox.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix either of these?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Default 08 Outie Rattles

Either way....Just from the noise of the car, the roof skin rattles.Havent at least one of you guys tried to fix it? I know its a common problem...

Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 AM

I rarely if ever drive with my windows down so I can't comment on that rattle.

As far as the lower glove box, if you push on it when closed you will notice a small amount of play at the top which could cause a rattle (plastic hitting plastic) when driving over a rough surface. Considering that the box and its hinges are plastic and the box is designed to drop down (off its hinges) to give you access to the cabin air filter I don't know how you could eliminate this play. Maybe you could try glueing some rubber at the top of box where plastic meets plastic.

I don't have the rattle, or at least I've never noticed it. However I carry both the owners manual and warranty manual in it, along with other items. Most likely this provides enough weight so when I do drive over a bump or on a rough surface the weight of the items prevents the box from bouncing up and causing the rattle.

Last edited by azjake; 12-06-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:40 PM

i also have the window rattling problem

Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
I rarely if ever drive with my windows down so I can't comment on that rattle.

As far as the lower glove box, if you push on it when closed you will notice a small amount of play at the top which could cause a rattle (plastic hitting plastic) when driving over a rough surface. Considering that the box and its hinges are plastic and the box is designed to drop down (off its hinges) to give you access to the cabin air filter I don't know how you could eliminate this play. Maybe you could try glueing some rubber at the top of box where plastic meets plastic.

I don't have the rattle, or at least I've never noticed it. However I carry both the owners manual and warranty manual in it, along with other items. Most likely this provides enough weight so when I do drive over a bump or on a rough surface the weight of the items prevents the box from bouncing up and causing the rattle.
we get the glove box rattle if it's empty or full, doesn't seem to matter.

We also had a weird problem the other day, while driving down a straight street in town i felt a thunk. Right after the asc light came on, it wouldn't shift out of 3rd either in manual or automode and the idle was all over the place. Check engine also came on obviously. Took it in to the dealer and they figured the air filter cover had not been installed properly so the maf sensor was dirty. Cleaned it and haven't had another issue yet.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by brynm
Took it in to the dealer and they figured the air filter cover had not been installed properly so the maf sensor was dirty. Cleaned it and haven't had another issue yet.
I changed the air filter this summer...wow what a pain that was! I can easily see how that could not be attached firmly.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 PM

I have a rattle inside the light fixture above the rear view mirror. The dealer changed it but there is still a rattle inside. Ideas?