Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

1) remote starter install 2) driving habit for fuel economy 3) recall?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:07 AM
Default 1) remote starter install 2) driving habit for fuel economy 3) recall?

Hi, everybody, newbi here, be gentle

new owner of 2016 outlander S-AWD, 2.4L. Just got back from a trip, and logged 23.5 MPG of highway use, driver me and 2 petite passengers. Surprised and disappointed. Driving around at all 5 leafs, supposed to be the most fuel economy, right? Pressing the Econ button does not seem to have any effect, the econ icon comes up for 5 seconds or so, not notice anything. Any tips on saving on gas the way you drive?

I am in North Dakota. Thinking to install a remote starter. got to go to the dealer as after market may mess up warantee? If after market, which one you are using?

Own my outlander for 2 weeks, already got a recall letter. About hesitation while acceleration. What is your thought on the recall? What a bumper, have not even enjoy my outlander for 1000 miles, already a recall

I am 5'6", sitting at the 3rd row seat is a bit clam, but does not bother me at all, even on long trip. What bother me is the difficulty in getting in and out, especially if the 2nd row passenger is not there. What do you think?

TIA,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 09-04-2016 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:48 AM

One more Q: There is a D, and a Ds, on the screen and on the gear box. If I use Ds, how do I switch gear? I do not have the option installed, sportronic steering wheel paddle shifter.

TIA,

bun

Old 09-05-2016, 12:20 PM

RE: Mileage.

I had a 2011 Outie/2.4L. Got 26 or so, around town.

Traded it for the 2012 version, GT (3.0 V6, real auto trans). Running regular gas (not Premium as "recommended").

I average 22 around town. Don't notice any performance or mileage difference with the regular.

After-market remote should have no effect on warranty, but Mitsu does leave a lot of that to the dealer's discretion. With the Mitsu remote, it's mostly plug and play. The module is located under the front passenger seat, the antenna in the driver's "A" pillar. Do not know what the range is. Might have to have it t the dealer to hook up MUTT to tell the computer that the remote start is present. That is the easy way. There is a button dance that will achieve the same result, but it is a PIA.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Did you use Ds a lot? It is Sports mode which gives you more power and much worse fuel economy. Maybe you left your AWC in LOCK too?

The Eco mode definitely reduces the AC fan speed. But I do not think it changes any driving pattern. Not driving too fast also saves gas. I had a 200-mile trip in the labor day weekend. Since my gas tank was half empty and I did not want to stop, I limited my speed at 70. I got 31.x mpg for that trip.

I have had my 2016 Outlander for about 10 months. Never experienced any issue with CVT. The recall was a software issue, not a hardware problem.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:43 AM

Eco mode changes where your "shift" points are. I quote them because your CVT just changes ratios not shift points. But it will hesitate to "upshift" if you're on eco to stay on a lower ratio.

Anyway, 23mpg is pretty bad for a 2.4L. I get 27mpg with my v6 at 65mpg. How fast are you driving? The trick with mpg is to be light on the throttle but also to plan your acceleration and deceleration. Coasting (in drive, never in neutral) is the way to go. Switch to your instant mpg screen to see instant feedback.

I use the OEM remote start. Can't comment about aftermarket. 1 thing you should know is that the remote start turns on the car (and whatever AC setting you had when you turned the car off last) but as soon as you open the door, engine will die as a safety precaution. You'll need to start the car again when you get in. The range is quite decent.

You can't change gears if you do not have paddle shifters. You can go to low.