Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2005 Outlander Tranny issue? - "D" position car wont move.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Default 2005 Outlander Tranny issue? - "D" position car wont move.

I drive a Mits Outlander 2005 4WD Auto-transmission (see image).
This morning, I put it in D-Drive but it didnt move.
R-Reverse moves but after a chug sound.

Called a mech over the phone, he says something about a "fibre" in the tranny that need to be replaced.

Thinking back, I changed the timing-belt when it snapped last Wednesday.

Then last Saturday, while filling the AC gas, another mech checked and noticed that the front shafts had damaged plastic covers that were replaced. But ATF fluid dripped from the tranny thru the removed shafts.

While topping the ATF, this fluid spilled on some wire harness and wire-sockets on the tranny next to the dip-stick opening.

This morning, when the D-Drive failed to move the car, I noticed an extra dull glow of the green light on N-Neutral on the dash-board indicator when the stick is in the D-Drive position.
No Check-Engine light came up.

Can this spilled ATF on these cable cause the tranny to fail like this?

What can I do to correct it?

Many thanks.

Tony.

Last edited by tonyblu; 05-18-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: to add pix
Old 05-21-2011, 05:47 PM

An Update...Resolved!

Hi,
Seems like it was indeed ELECTRICAL!

I topped up the ATF & took off the battery terminals since I couldnt lay hands on a mobile scanner.

The battery terminals stayed off for 3 days, and I reconnected it this morning. Checked that the atf level was ok.

Engaged D-position and d Outie MOVED FWD effortlessly the way it was supposed to! Reverse was also ok. The funny lights on the P D N were also gone.

Inasmuch as I want to take it for a spin, it's not leaving my garage until I get a scanned diagnosis done - incl the tranny control unit status. I dont want any surprises since the CUV is being driven by wifey (usu when carrying 2 under-5 girls). I wont want them getting stuck in Lagos (Nigeria) sun & traffic hazards.

My guess is that d tranny detected low atf level & entered limp mode to protect d tranny (?), or d spilled atf on d tranny cables triggered d limp mode.

Flushing off d spilled atf with water & removal of d batt possibly reset d ECU & TCU to default allowing original progmming to execute.

But I'll know for sure when I get d scan done. I'm kinda sacred driving it to a scan shop - I dont want it stalling on me halfway.

Rgds.
Tony.