Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2006 Outlander AWD tire issues

Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Default 2006 Outlander AWD tire issues

I have a 2006 Outlander AWD and it was in the Sams club tire shop for a new battery. One of the tire technicians said "since one of my tires do not match because the treadwear is a little different because its newer than the other three (the rear left) it could destroy the AWD/CV system of the car and i need to buy 4 new tires that match." The rear left tire was replaced (because of puncture) with a similar tire less than a year ago because they could not find a match. Is this true? Since my treadwear is uneven it could cause damage to my CV joints and AWD system? This means that every time i have a blow out i have to replace all four of my tires?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Yazzie
I have a 2006 Outlander AWD and it was in the Sams club tire shop for a new battery. One of the tire technicians said "since one of my tires do not match because the treadwear is a little different because its newer than the other three (the rear left) it could destroy the AWD/CV system of the car and i need to buy 4 new tires that match." The rear left tire was replaced (because of puncture) with a similar tire less than a year ago because they could not find a match. Is this true? Since my treadwear is uneven it could cause damage to my CV joints and AWD system? This means that every time i have a blow out i have to replace all four of my tires?
Read this thread --> https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...-please-41421/

Also read your user manual. The mechanic is right.

Also even if they claim same size and aspect ratio different brands have vastly different actual dimensions.

By the way bigger newer tire can be shaved to match the size of the others.

Last edited by Claude_A; 01-22-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 AM

Thank you for the link and the reply. I guess i have to buy four new tires, right?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Yazzie
Thank you for the link and the reply. I guess i have to buy four new tires, right?
Not necessarily...

Find a performance tire shop and check if they can shave tire (this is done to reduce the thread thickness and prevent over heating during race)

Find a tire of the same brand and model and have it reduced to the same diameter as the others.

The above is OK if your tires are new.
If they are past half life use the occasion to get 4 better tires than the original OEM