Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Will different tire affect the AWD system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Default Will different tire affect the AWD system?

Hey Guys,

I own a 2008 Outlander XLS AWD that has Yokohama Avid TRZ tires on it. Yesterday I screwed one of the tires up and went out to discount tire this morning to get a replacement. Just my luck, Yokohama have discontinued that tire, but they had Yokohama YK580's in stock, same size 225/55/R18, but the guy working there is recommending that I get four new tires as putting one different one (albeit the same brand and size) on he says will over time screw up the transfer case.

That seems unlikely to me, but can anyone on here with greater knowledge that I comment?

If it is the case, can anyone comment if that tire would be decent in snow? I live in Denver and head up to the mountains for skiing once in a while and I have been the TRZ's pretty bad in snow. Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Dan

Old 02-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Depending on how much wear you have on your remaining tires would be a factor in the number of tires bought. Our AWD system is not completely standard.

Traditional 4x4, like my Ranger, uses a transfer case to split power 50/50 to front back, with no room for differences in tire size. You cannot use it on pavement or where you have a lot of traction.

Some vehicles, like the Jeep Liberty, uses a third differential to split the power front to back. The spider gear would allow for limited pavement use, since the differential would compensate for different tire sizes.

Our Outlander uses an electronic clutch pack just in front of the rear differential that controls how much power is sent to the rear wheels: none, 20-40% (auto), 50-60% (lock). Since power output is adjustable, I'd think it'd be acceptable to run a mix of new/used. However, I'd strongly suggest purchasing in pairs rather than just one. I'd also put the new ones on the front and stick with 2WD mode for a while until they wear down to approximately the same size.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM

Thanks very much; I've been sitting here wondering if buying two new ones would be acceptable. Would certainly be more acceptable to my pocket book

Old 02-26-2014, 02:09 PM

yeah, safest bet is to put them on the front and wear them down to the same size.

Edit: would give you an excuse to turn ASC off and punch it! "...just gotta get them worn down to the correct size, dear."

Last edited by ccernst; 02-26-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: good ideas
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 PM

tyres should never be replaced singularly. At least a pair.