Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2008 Outlander LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Default 2008 Outlander LS

Im a new proud owner of a 2008 Outlander LS and just wanted to ask a few questions. First off the manual says to change oil every 6000 km is that right or should i stick with 5000km? It also recommends using 5w20 oil, will using 5w30 affect anything or should i stay with what they receommend?

Can someone tell me where the air purifer is located so i know where it is to change the filter.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:58 PM

I live in the desert southwest of the USA and because of the heat I follow mitsubishi's severe maintenance schedule which calls for oil changes every 3 months or 3,000 miles. My dealer also uses 10W-30 oil because of the heat.

How often you should change your oil would depend upon the climate and your driving habits, but oil changes are inexpensive and and it never hurts to change it more often. As far as what weight oil to use, again that would depend upon climate and driving habits.

In North American models the cabin air filter is located behind the lower glove box on the front passenger side. If you open the glove box and look in you can see part of the filter. The glove box would need to be removed to get at that filter.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 PM

How often should the cabin filter be changed? And would you happen to know of a replacment type that I could get at a place like Advance Auto?

Also same for the engine air filter?

Rob
________
Kawasaki GPZ900R

Last edited by ruchuck; 02-07-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Mitsu recommends changing the cabin air filter every year. Depending upon how many miles you drive each year that may be overkill. If you live in a humid climate the key thing you don't want is the humidity to get the filter damp which can breed mold and mildew along with bad smells. I live in a dry climate so thats not a big issue with me. As far as where to buy I would think auto parts stores like Advance, Auto Zone, etc would carry the filter. If you search this forum there have also been posts about members who found online stores to buy the cabin air filter at cheaper prices.

As far as air filter goes mitsu recommends every 12-15,000 miles. Because I live in a dry climate there is a lot of dust that can get sucked into the filter so I plan on replacing mine at least every 12,000 miles or maybe even a little sooner. A dirty air filter can definitely affect engine and gas mileage performance.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM

where is the cabin filter located and how would you access it?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM

The cabin air filter is located behind the lower glove box on the passenger side of the vehicle. If you open the lower glove box and look in there you can see the filter. Its housed in a white plastic case. To get to the filter you would have to remove the glove box. I believe there is a thread on this forum that tells you how to remove the glove box, that you could search for.

One clarification on the air filter. Mitsu recommends you replace it every 15,000 miles if you follow the severe maintenance schedule which I do. If you follow the regular maintenance schedule they recommend changing the air filter every 30,000 miles.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM

thank you for quick response. I wonder how much they cost here in Canada. LOL. I hope i find the thread on how to remove the glove box. If i cant may i PM you on how to do it?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:06 PM

I only have 6,500 miles on my Outlander so I haven't changed the filter yet. To be honest I would have to refer to the thread also to know how to remove the glove box.

As far as finding the cabin air filter in Canada I suggest you call auto parts stores in your town. I seem to remember another thread on this forum where someone said the cabin air filter for the Outlander is identical to one found in certain models of Toyota's so maybe while you are searching for the thread on removing the glove box you can also search for that.

The only reason I suggest finding out what model of Toyota uses the same cabin filter is you will probably have better luck finding the filter if you ask for the filter by the Toyota model. The Outlander is a great car, but because they don't sell as many of them as Toyota's, Honda's, etc some parts are difficult to find in stores.

Last edited by azjake; 03-30-2009 at 09:08 PM.