Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2008 XLS Intermittent A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:53 AM
Default 2008 XLS Intermittent A/C

Had a problem recently where A/C would not work intermittently. The LED A/C light would flash one time is was not working. Another time the light did not flash. Now the A/C is working fine again. Any ideas?

Old 06-30-2018, 12:08 PM

I found some good trouble shooting videos on Youtube. Tracked down that ECU is sending power to the AC clutch and the clutch does activate when connected directly to battery. There is a refrigerant temperature sensor mounted directly to the AC compressor causing the problem. The sensor actually faces the catylitic convertor so not surprising it has failed. Sensor is back ordered from Mitsu and haven't been able to find an aftermarket source.
It appears that you have to drain the system to change this sensor.

For now I have bypassed the sensor and AC has been working so far but it's only been one day. Will report back in a while if this is indeed the cause.
There is a bullet connector between the sensor wiring and the AC clutch. It's fairly easy to disconnect and bypass once you're under the car and have all of the lower covers removed.

Here are the videos part 1 and part 2.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:54 PM
Default Having Same Issues

Same thing happened to my Outlander just this past weekend. The clutch was not engaging so no cold air. But then it would engage again after some time or when i turn it off for a while. Now it works fine... so far. My research suggest its the air gap between the clutch and the rotor. It has worn over the standard value. According to the Mitsu Service manual, I can adjust the air gap by removing shims from the clutch to reduce the air gap. I will post a "how to" and hope it could help others.

How's yours working out?

Old 08-01-2018, 03:01 PM

Bypassing the sensor did fix it for me. It's been working fine since and I've been using it a lot this summer.
The videos I posted show the tech testing for air gap in the clutch. You might want to try that before adjusting it.