Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander Leaking Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Ahhhhhh, just for those interested, I figured out what was wrong with my Outlander (nothing). As my dealership supposedly found and fixed that my transfercase was leaking, which I had doubts about it as transmission fluid is NOT neon green/yellow color. When the snow melted there were no drips found under my Outlander, then another big snow storm hit and the little yellow/green neon drips continued. So I went under the car and I didn't notice any leakage, then I googled it and apparently in my area they started using new salt mixed with sugar solutions to melt away the snow :s Apparently when the heat from the exaust (which is located in the middle) that has little snow residue (mixed with salt/sugar) left over gets on clean snow it will leave little neon/green spots (dripping water mixed with salt/sugar).And this would make sense because as I mentioned earlier, when there is no snow on the ground, I don't see any leakage on the pavement and all the fluid levels seem to be normal. This thing has been driving me nuts for the past few weeks but seems I finally figured it out.
Were the spots neon yellow or green? The same thing is happening to mine and they are bright bright yellow

Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Were the spots neon yellow or green? The same thing is happening to mine and they are bright bright yellow
Old thread resurrected.
I got stuck in deep snow 2 days ago. I had my Outlander in 4 wheel drive lock. After about 15 minutes I got it unstuck. I smelled trans fluid and there was a lot of steam coming from the trans cooler. (passably from the snow melting from it and the heat generated from working to get unstuck.) I noticed several spots of bright yellow in the snow. The drip locations were basically in the center of the car toward the front. I checked the trans fluid and the level seamed normal. The coolant looked a little low but the engine wasn't completely warmed up.