Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 09:08 AM
Default 2010 bluetooth

Hi all,

Just bought a 2010 model that doesn't appear to have bluetooth. It doesn't have the steering controls at all ('speech' ect.). It does have a small phone module mounted to the window which I believe is MR936993 but can only be used for calls.

Question is, is it possible to install a 'proper' Bluetooth capability? And how much is that likely to set me back.

Cheers.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:27 PM

According to this thread (that also contains a DIY video for the installation) everything is pre-wired and it is a relatively simple procedure. No ETACS programming is required. In addition, you may need to get (besides the microphone and the bluetooth module) a steering wheel switch if it is not on your left side of the steering wheel (lower left quadrant; any Mitsubishi model should be OK)

To install the switch you will have to remove the steering wheel (disconnect the negative terminal: important, otherwise you will get an airbag error message after disconnecting the airbag; use Torx 25 or T30 and unscrew the two screws from the back of the steering wheel; disconnect the airbag connections and remove the steering wheel airbag; now you will be able to install the switch and follow in reverse order for assembly). You will need to sculpt the steering column cover to accommodate the switch. I could only find pictures for the EVO here but the concept is the same for the Outlander.
As to the cost, I strongly recommend visiting a junk yard near you and get everything (and practice) for few bucks. I have pulled a spare bluetooth module from a wreck for $12 Canadian. I suspect that will be the most expensive item of the three you need. This would be the most economical solution.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:08 PM

Gogledd,

I did the same for a ZH 2011 LS in Australia. all up cost me about $300.00 AUD about four years ago.
The wiring harness for the Bluetooth is pre-installed, just not "in use". You will need to get some parts (OEM from a wreckers is cheaper usually)
  • Handsfree phone switches for the steering wheel - this also needs the Outlander bracket if as pictured by AWCAD (the set with a Lancer bracket did not fit my Outlander) and the Bluetooth wiring loom for in the steering wheel.
    • I just bought an Outlander steering wheel with switches already from the wreckers
  • Microphone - this is inside the front courtesy light.
    • I got mine from a wreckers - I removed the microphone from the courtesy lights module and did not buy the whole light module.
  • The Bluetooth module (a Johnson Controls Mitsubishi Bluetooth handsfree). If your Outlander currently has the USB input module the Bluetooth will replace this and will run both the USB input and Bluetooth.
    • Generally a Google search for "Mitsubishi Johnson Controls" will get you any amount of relevant hits - on e-bay they are usually around the $100-150 mark (Australian) pre-used, as compared to $800 +/- from Mitsubishi.
    • Used modules may need to have the security code cleared - see unlock Bluetooth module posts in the forum.
    • I'd stick with OEM if you want to use the pre-wired looming "as is". The module part number starts with 8783A0##, the ## being variable - the higher the number the newer the version. I am current running a "074" in my 2011 ZH LS.
Installation is pretty much plug-and-play. There are plenty of "How to" postings in the forum on these steps
  • Remove the radio, take out the USB module,
  • Put in the Bluetooth module, reinstall radio (don't forget the antenna cable).
  • Swap the steering wheel (disconnect the battery first) or install the switch and looming
  • Install the microphone
T​​​​​hen enjoy your hands free telephone experience