Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 07:16 PM
Default 2010 Outlander starting issue

This is my first post im new here. I just want to say thank you in advance for any help I may get. Thanks!

On Saturday my wife took the Outlander to work everything was working fine until she got out of work. When she got out of work the key wouldn't turn and the steering wheel was locked. I went to look at it as this once happend to me before. So I get there I turn the key while moving the steering wheel back and forth. The steering wheel unlocks and I can now turn the key. Now here is where my issue is the key wont go passed the ACC to start the car. I've tried using the emergency key still nothing ssmthing the key wont turn beyond ACC. I have no mitsubishi dealership near me. The closest one is about 200 miles away. Any ideas or suggestions for me to try out.

Thanks in advanced

Old 03-01-2021, 09:32 AM

if you can turn from locked to accessory then it's not the key it's the mechanism inside, there are many styles of ignition switches, but all have one thing in common, metal contacts move over each other, some cars become loose over the years, others stiff, sounds like that's the issue, have you tried a simple shot of WD-40? before you start getting into seriously costly parts and risking damaging the plastics around the column, the WD stands for water dryer (maybe that's an urban legend) but if there's moisture freezing up or causing the metal parts to bind, it might help, good luck