Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (RVR)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:54 AM

What are you owners thoughts now on the sport?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Loving mine so far, I'll save the final verdict for after the snow starts to fall. Bought it to replace a Jeep, which replaced a Jeep, which replaced a Jeep before it. As much fun as we've had with the Jeeps (and they were awesome, everyone should own at least one Wrangler in their lifetime), we really needed something better on gas as 95% of our driving was in the city where the Jeeps were averaging around 20L/100km in rush hour traffic. Actually more like 22.5L/100km in the winter. OUCH!

So when it came time for a new vehicle we looked for something with room for 4, decent cargo capacity, had to have AWD at least, be much better on fuel than the Jeep in the city, all for a $30G max budget. So that pretty much left a compact crossover as the only real option. Looked at the Tucson and the Sportage as they both had the same 5yr bumper to bumper coverage. Wife didn't care for the Sportage, and the Tucson AWD was only available as a 2012 factory order or FWD only 2011's.

So that left the RVR. So far have put on about 1,000km in the city and 4,000km on the highway (unexpected road trip). I have to say that so far it's met all our expectations and then some. A little less cargo capacity than the last Jeep but soooo much better on gas. Yes the RVR is a little buzzy at high RPM's and yes it's not going to win any drag races but it had no trouble cruising along at 130km/hr (80MPH) and had sufficient power for merging, passing, etc.

While the Wrangler we used to have really put smiles on our faces all summer long and everytime we got some snow, it made me cry at the pump. I would get ALMOST 300km per tank in the city. The RVR has me smiling at the gas station, last fill was 40L for 370km of city driving or 10.8L/100km. A bit more than the advertised numbers but I spend a lot of time in bumper to bumper traffic. On stretches with minimal stops I can get less than the advertised 8.8L/100km, lowest I've gotten was 7.5L/100km in the city.

If it get's me through the snow with 75% of the ease that the previous Jeeps did then I'm a happy camper. I loved the ability to never have to worry wether we got 1" or 10" of snow and will never go back to a car. Hopefully the little RVR impresses me in the white stuff, I've seen a few youtube videos and it seems like it can handle itself pretty well on ice and even offroad (if your foolish) so it should do pretty well I hope.

Only real complaint so far is the lack of cup holders in the rear unless you buy the GT, 5 holders in the front but none in the back WTF? Also, the lack of personalization options when purchasing...you pretty much have 3 choices for how your vehicle is built (in Canada). ES,SE,or GT. I would have loved the cup holders and stereo from the GT but didn't really care for the push start or panoramic glass. The $4G upgrade from the SE to GT was also very steep considering there was no difference in powertrain or anything else substantial. $4G is a LOT of money for a glass roof, push to start, HID headlights, a nicer stereo and cupholders.

That's my take on it so far.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:13 AM

I believe you will be satisfied with your new Outlander. 10 inches of snow is no problem for the Outlander. The only concern I had with mine was the factory tires that came with mine. With the new better traction m/s tires I put on my Outie made the world of difference over the factory tires which had plenty of tread on them.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 PM

I bought a 2011 Outlander Sport AWD SE Model Last month. I only have about 230 miles on it but I like it a lot. The styling is unique, it is comfortable and fun to drive. It has plenty of power for my driving style - I am not using it for racing - just day to day commuting, shopping, etc. I really like the pushbutton start system, and the hands free phone system. So far I can't think of anything I do not like about it. ---The bottom line is I would definitely recommend this car to anyone looking for a small SUV and wants to get the most car for the least amount of money. And by the3 way I have been driving for over fourty five years now and have owned all kinds of cars including a couple MG midgets, a 57 Chevy, and a Ford F250 truck with a diesel engine.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Two weeks into my Outlander Sport SE. I love all the standard features and I just got 30.84 MPG (7.62ltrs/100 Km) this last fill-up. Never gonna win any races. I must be driving too slow, actually had someone honk at me to accelerate faster when the light turned green. The only thing I don't like is the crazy options list the Mitsu has. AWD if you want heated seats??? Have to have Rockford stereo to get XM??? C'mon!!

Other than that, this is a keeper, and money well spent.

Mike

Last edited by awayteam; 10-17-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:42 PM

All just wait until the snow and thorw it into 4WD lock...

my 4 cyl outlander is a beast with snow tires on.

You'll love your purchase

Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by awayteam
Two weeks into my Outlander Sport SE. I love all the standard features and I just got 30.84 MPG (7.62ltrs/100 Km) this last fill-up. Never gonna win any races. I must be driving too slow, actually had someone honk at me to accelerate faster when the light turned green. The only thing I don't like is the crazy options list the Mitsu has. AWD if you want heated seats??? Have to have Rockford stereo to get XM??? C'mon!!

Other than that, this is a keeper, and money well spent.

Mike
Does the stereo have a "SAT" button? If so, you can just install the satellite radio module behind the glovebox easily (a couple of screws and 3 snap in connectors).
Likewise, heated seats can be added as well, its pre-wired for everything (check under the seats and fuse marked heated seats). Although its probably not worth it...

Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Does the stereo have a "SAT" button? If so, you can just install the satellite radio module behind the glovebox easily (a couple of screws and 3 snap in connectors).
Likewise, heated seats can be added as well, its pre-wired for everything (check under the seats and fuse marked heated seats). Although its probably not worth it...
First, thanks for the info.

No SAT button on the Nav system. Dealer installed a ONYX XM system for free. A little awkward to get to, but sound is great. Antenna is on the dash, and that's OK by me. Running sound through the AUX channel in the center console. No wires visible. They did a good install.

Will have to check the bottom of my seats. If it's pre-wired then heated seats may be a real possibility. Don't mind getting hands dirty to save a buck or two. Anybody with an opinion on which kit to get, I'd like to hear from you.

Mike

Last edited by awayteam; 10-18-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 PM

Very strange that they put in a 3rd party stereo. If you install the tuner, It will appear in in MMCS. It may need to be activated in ETACS ECU as well. The stereo system/NAV is the same on all Lancer/Outlander/RVR, and it certainly doesn't require the RF sound system (nor does it have anything to do with satellite radio)

Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Very strange that they put in a 3rd party stereo. If you install the tuner, It will appear in in MMCS. It may need to be activated in ETACS ECU as well. The stereo system/NAV is the same on all Lancer/Outlander/RVR, and it certainly doesn't require the RF sound system (nor does it have anything to do with satellite radio)
Thanks for the info on the SAT. Called the dealer parts people and they said no such parts exist for the Sport. did some digging on the forum and came up with a couple of part numbers, but I am hesitant to buy, unless some other brave soul in a Sprot model has done it.

MZ360147EX and MZ360162EX are what I found. Seems like they would do the job, but... Has any one with a Sport done this????

If they have, I'm in..

Mike

Quick Reply: 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (RVR)