Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2012 Outlander GT Starter Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Default 2012 Outlander GT Starter Replacement?

I think it's the starter, maybe one of you know. My wife stopped on the way home to pick the kids up and when she tried to start the car it clicks and doesn't turn over. She then received a message saying "transmission overheating". I've read a couple of places that it could be the battery, starter, starter relay... what do you think? From the sound and the fact that all of my electronics work I think it is probably starter related. Are they a pain in the a** to replace on this car?
Thanks!

Old 06-22-2018, 06:29 AM

Your battery is 6 years old...

Mine lasted 5 before getting Transmission overheating message at minus 20 degrees Celsius right after starting. then no start.

Get yourself a new battery before you tear into the starter or try with booster cables and another car.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Took the battery for a test - it is bad... Replaced it and tried to start the car, same thing. Clicking, sounds like it is trying to turn over. I noticed some smoke coming from the front - near the alternator but I can;t be for certain. Do you think the alternator could have gone? Definitely a burned motor smell...
Thanks for any assistance!

Originally Posted by Claude_A
Your battery is 6 years old...

Mine lasted 5 before getting Transmission overheating message at minus 20 degrees Celsius right after starting. then no start.

Get yourself a new battery before you tear into the starter or try with booster cables and another car.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Possible but in order for the alternator to stop the engine from turning over it has to be seized, this can be checked by removing the belt.

If the alternator is shorted internally it might have already depleted your new battery, check with a voltmeter if less than 12 volt then disconnect the alternator wire, charge the battery and try.

When under the hood check for damaged wire as they smell the same as burned motor.

Old 06-24-2018, 04:53 PM

Claude, you're the best for helping, thanks. I pulled the belt, alternator spins freely, seems OK. I noticed when I pulled the AC compressor the same burned motor smell from when we tried to start it. It seems like the AC compressor motor is hard to turn, like it might be bad. Could this cause a no start? Thanks a ton.

Originally Posted by Claude_A
Possible but in order for the alternator to stop the engine from turning over it has to be seized, this can be checked by removing the belt.

If the alternator is shorted internally it might have already depleted your new battery, check with a voltmeter if less than 12 volt then disconnect the alternator wire, charge the battery and try.

When under the hood check for damaged wire as they smell the same as burned motor.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:56 PM

AC compressor fine, tested it with 12V dc. It's the starter, 99% sure.... thanks for your help