Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2013 Outlander - full pics Finally

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 PM

As many have said...it looks bland. Doesn't seem it will stick out anymore.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Phatty McPatty
I agree, the tailgate gives the best of both worlds; when it's up (closed), you have a solid surface to lean cargo against / when down (open), you have a flat surface to slide things in/out without having to lean over the bumper.

I'm definitely jealous of the 3rd-row seats - they don't look like gimmicky afterthoughts any longer. But even in the pictures it looks like you have to slide the 2nd row forward against the back of the 1st row in order to give any type of knee room to the 3rd row. I hope no one is over 5'08"! IMO, 3rd rows should be reserved for large vehicles (the Highlander's 3rd row is padded, sturdy and I actually found it comfortable... and I'm 6')!

They've only slightly improved the folding of the 2nd row but still haven't perfected the fold-flat concept (left picture). Looks like you now flip the seat-bottom forward, then fold the seat-back forward into the void left by the seat-bottom. The seat-bottom sticks up and robs cargo space (albeit, less than previous model years) and the folding action still seems overly complicated. It also seems like you have to move the front seats forward just to complete the process. They really should copy the Nissan Murano (right picture), it's so simple; pull a handle and the seat-back folds against the seat-bottom - one action and you have a nearly flat surface all the way up to the back of the front seats with no gaps for things to fall through. This is not new; it's been around since 2003. It's like Mitsu is trying to reinvent the wheel.
My Vue has the "nearly" flat folding rear seats, and they suck. The fact that they're not perfectly flat means you're going to end up with a weird angle, and this can cause issues loading items in, especially long items.

The big difference in design is because the Murano doesn't need to give access to a 3rd row of seats, being a 2 row vehicle. 3 Rows require all sorts of intricate flipping motions or Consumer Reports cries about it being hard for them to put an 80 year old in the 3rd row of seats.

I actually prefer that the Outlander's 2nd row flips forward. While it sucks for maximum cargo capacity by taking up a good amount of space, it helps keep the dog in the back because it forms a little wall between the front and the back. He tends to like to climb halfway on it so he can easily see where we're going, but in my Vue he could climb up into the front seats (were it not for his doggy seatbelt harness), which would be dangerous for all involved.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by klas
yes, the design is "fresh", but somehow and they made it unattractive in every angle. I don't remember seeing the same comments for 2nd gen Outlander, but I liked it from the first site and I bought it. 5 years later I still love the looks of my current Outlander. This one on the other hand looks like Highlander which is just bland and they thought bland looks was not enough, so they had to ruin the aggressive look of the rear in previous gens by adding the stupid "light bar" and making the tail lights look dopey. Mitsubishi probably smoked something when they designed this... The entire design is now dopey looking and my Leaf looks a lot nicer then this...

Fugly
It looks like a Subaru/Toyota love child.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:17 AM

Thanks for posting the pics of the 2013 Outlander. I was able to find and read a little more information about this next generation. Motor Trend and Car and Driver have posted some information about the upcoming Outlander. Since details are limited, each source is reporting pretty much the same information. No information about powertrain availability for the North American market.

I disagree with some that the new design is ugly. It's conservative and a bit understated. Not in your face like the current generation. It's almost as if Mitsubishi is playing it safe on this design. With the popularity of the Toyota Rav-4 and Honda CR-V, both conservative in my opinion, this new design may entice many in the North American market. Who knows? Only time will tell. Although I personally prefer the design of our 2012 GT, I would not rule out this next generation. I like the options this upcoming generation will have, but will have to wait to see it in person. My concerns include the powertrain availability and what type of all-wheel-drive system this next generation will offer. From the pics and information available, I did not see anything about the Super All Wheel Control. For me, this will be a must, as I like the system in our 2012 GT.

If any members have additional information about the North American 2013 Outlander, I would be interested (and appreciative) if you could pass along that information.

Best regards.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:10 PM

I just bought an 2009 model - V6 Jatco 6 gear transmissiom... after 2013 model launch.
New model seems an unpersonalized SUV/Crossover that we can confound with several models (Hyundai, Kia and some chinese models). Taillights looks like pieces that we can by in some tunning shop and internal design is not balanded. Too many details falling to the drivers' side...

Well, I think I´m getting old because I like the 2004-6 Freelander models instead of the current model and old Outlander design is great to me!!!!

I´m not stimulated to have a 2013 one. Instead, Pajero Sport called my attention...

Greetings!

Last edited by Robertczar; 03-18-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 PM

Horrible design Mitsubishi has let me down this is an awful Outlander.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE
My Vue has the "nearly" flat folding rear seats, and they suck. The fact that they're not perfectly flat means you're going to end up with a weird angle, and this can cause issues loading items in, especially long items.
I never had that issue with the Murano but it could have been "flatter" than the Vue. Since the seat cushions were squished under the weight of the cargo, the flatness depended on the cargo weight (heavy items squished it flat). It wasn't perfect but it's not as bad as trying to load the Outlander. My biggest annoyance is trying to make cargo fit in the Outlander that used to fit easily in the Murano.

The big difference in design is because the Murano doesn't need to give access to a 3rd row of seats, being a 2 row vehicle. 3 Rows require all sorts of intricate flipping motion...
True. They're needed in a 3 row vehicle, but for me, this resurrects the debate of the 3rd row's suitability in the Outlander. It swallows needed storage space, adds weight, requires goofy, 2nd-row tumbling seats that take up cargo space when "stowed"... All of that for a seat that Mitsubishi states isn't safe for children or 5'8"+ adults. My point is that this would all be irrelevant if they didn't decide to jam that dumb lawn chair back there! Pardon my digression...

I actually prefer that the Outlander's 2nd row flips forward. While it sucks for maximum cargo capacity by taking up a good amount of space, it helps keep the dog in the back because it forms a little wall between the front and the back.
Ha, well I'm glad someone found a benefit of it!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Alright, design sucks, we all agree. So the question is now who will be upgrading? I will most definitely upgrade to plugin version, regular ICE upgrade has no benefits otherwise.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Isophorone
It doesn't look too bad to me, though better in white than that other color. Is Mitsubishi getting rid of the CVT? The description mentioned 4-cylinder engines and a 6-speed (or is that 6-speed manual?) Will the one sold in the U.S. have a 2.0 L gasser or a bigger displacement engine?

I would really like it if the diesel were sold in the U.S. What kind of fuel economy does that get?
i think this will be offered in the current trans/engine combo that the outlander has. so like 3.0L 6 speed, and 2.4L CVT. and of course the PHEV version with a smaller displacement engine.i hope they offer a diesel engine option for the phev.imagine diesel economy with that plugin hybrid.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by rcpax
i think this will be offered in the current trans/engine combo that the outlander has. so like 3.0L 6 speed, and 2.4L CVT. and of course the PHEV version with a smaller displacement engine. I hope they offer a diesel engine option for the phev.imagine diesel economy with that plugin hybrid.
With all due respect, I would rather not have the diesel hybrid. The cost would be too high, there would be added mechanical and electrical complexity, extra weight from the batteries, and reduced storage room. I have growing kids and need the trunk space. Keep an entry level diesel for value buyers and give the Europeans a run for their money.

When we bought our Outlander, the dealer said that Mitsubishi was going to bring over a diesel hybrid Lancer. We'll see if that really happens.