Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2014 Outlander Sport No-Start/Fuel Pump Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 11:13 PM
Default 2014 Outlander Sport No-Start/Fuel Pump Wiring

I went to start my car this morning and it cranked, but I could not hear my fuel pump run. I popped my rear seats and got to the fuel pump connector but I do not know which wire in the connector or pin on the pump to try and jump to verify if the pump works or not. It is a 5-pin connector and I don’t want to guess which pins to jump. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Am I on the right track?

Old 10-16-2019, 10:15 AM

Anyone?

Old 10-16-2019, 02:03 PM

First, welcome to the community. Second, please exercise some degree of patience. We are not 24-7 customer service assistants serving others thus, we are not hanging on the forum all the time. Your problem is not obvious from your 2 line request and some of us, who even try to help would need some time and thinking before being able to provide a meaningful and responsible suggestion. Having said that please find the wiring diagram and the images referring to relay checks below. Good luck and let us know your progress.

Last edited by AWCAWD; 10-16-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:05 PM

Thank you for the diagrams, I will post my progress

Old 10-17-2019, 12:47 AM

I was able to jump the fuel pump and verify that it works (put battery voltage to the pin that the blue wire in the connector goes to and ground to the pin that the black wire goes to if anyone is wondering, they are both next to each other in the row of 2 pins in the 5-pin connector). Using a test light with the key on however, the blue wire (fuel pump power) is NOT getting power. I was able to figure out that fuse #23 for the fuel pump is good (it is not labeled very well on the fuse box cover under the hood so thank you for the diagram), I just need to know know where the ecm is and where the fuel pump relay is now. Your instructions show how to probe the ecm to check the fuel pump relay, I just don’t know where each of those items are. Any guidance is appreciated

Old 10-17-2019, 08:58 AM

According to the wiring diagram above the fuel pump relay is in the ETACS-ECU, which is found under the the dashboard at the left of the steering wheel. I see two relays there but the service manual (available for download in this forum via one of the sticky threads) does not specify its exact location. You may want to test connector C 406 (see its location above) whether it is powered (12V) when the ignition is on.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:17 AM

You do not necessary need to find the relay to test it as per the diagram I posted earlier if you identify the connectors in the ETACS-ECU. With pin pattern identification Connector-A must be C-417 and Connector-B must be C-412. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:33 PM

I was able to test those pins (I will post the full procedure later) and discover that the blue wire when tested at the ecm/fuel pump relay assembly was not supplying power to the fuel pump. However, when I put my own power to it, the car would start and now it starts perfectly every time. This tells me that the fuel pump relay component of the ecm was faulty... but did I really fix it? I’m wondering if I should just drive it now and hope it’s fixed, or does anybody know if I can take apart the ecm and replace the relay?

Old 10-21-2019, 05:19 PM

The most likely scenario is that the relay got stuck in the open position. If it happens again then you know how to fix it again and you will know that the fix is only temporary. Then you need to replace the relay. If, however, works without a problem, you can relax. It is always good to carry a small jumper power supply anyway. Even this $26 version should work and start the car if your battery fails.