Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2016 Outlander... "Galactica"

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Default 2016 Outlander build... "Galactica"

So I've got my new 16 Outlander now and back home to start modding on it. I'm a bit OCD on the looks and as always will be removing all the badging and dealer stickers,,,, so,,,, with a break in the weather, I got a little bit of progress done on it.. For starters: put the AVS vent visors on it, Got the rear De-badged, (there's a body "divot" in the back and it's "inset" where the triple D's go) I also took off the engine cover, gonna do some paint work on the diamonds and I think I'm going to use all the lettering I took off the back, paint it the same as the diamonds and it'll spell "outlandish". Still waiting for the RRM crank pulley and timing controller to show up.

Got an idea as to where I'll put an oil catch can to vent the intake side and maybe the vent at the intake tube. (working on changing that out to tubing) Also took out the intake snorkel and removed the "giant" what ever baffle thingy on the top. WTF on that Mitsu??? Used a dremel with C/O wheel, cleaned it up, and siliconed a stainless disk I had (from the lazer cutter) inside and out. Looks SOOO much better.

I got some samples of what color Purple to put on it and accent stuff, engine bay, etc... Let me know what you think??? I'm leaning to #2 first choice, and #1 second choice. (to also cover the Chrome trim)
pics show the work, and the baffle on the intake tube that'll get removed, and the fuse cover that will get some color treatment. On to the show. lol

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-visors.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-de-badge.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-intake1.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-intake2.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-intake3.jpg  

2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-intake4.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-engine-changes.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-color-sample.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-rrm-pulley.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-timing-controller.jpg  

Last edited by Krakker; 12-22-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:24 PM

Couple pics of current state VS. possible color additions. Still debating on what to do with the chrome trim on the front grill and back. (between the tail lights)

I like what was done to the chrome on the sponsored 4x4 version.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-galactica.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-cosmic-blue-d.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-mitsu-off-road.jpg  
Old 12-13-2015, 01:29 AM

Installed the RRM timing controller today before going to work.
not a whole lot of difference in the way it idles or runs, but I can tell the difference it the RPM's when hitting the gas and power output to the ground when taking off is noticeable too. More responsive....

Plug N Play is as easy as it gets. The mounting in the engine bay is simple.
Plugs are slightly different on the 2016 model, (outer shape) but they still hook up and connect in the same way.
I'll get some pics of the install and how it's mounted. It looks like it's meant to be in the engine bay, and if I ever needed to quick connect back to stock, I could just undo it and ziptie it out of the way.

At highway speeds, it feels smoother and passing "pedal down" is quicker, not so I4 feeling. More like a weaker V6 but noticeably better than stock.

RRM Timing controller for the 2.4 Lancer I can attest "WILL" work on the 2.4L of the SOHC Outlander or Outlander Sport. It is currently on my 2016 Outlander SE, 2.4, S-AWC with NO issues....

Last edited by Krakker; 12-13-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:00 PM

Timing controller mounted. Pics included.
This thing is a good addition for a lil noticeable zip in response. Box without the RRM sticker looks just like anther part of the engine bay that belongs there. Connections are simple and I only needed one zip tie to secure the harness. The controller plugs in just to the left looking down by the alternator and the plug pulls off right at the manifold. (shown in the pics) simply plug the stock connector into the harness, and same style plug connector from the new harness back into the plug at the manifold. There is a nice spot for the control box on the front of the radiator support/chassis. The 2 sided automotive tape is enough to hold it in place, but you could always add a few screws (or drill and pop rivet) to the chassis.
Controller has been working well for 2 weeks now with NO issues, running 91oct. MPG's haven't changed from either "NORMAL" mode or "ECO".
Normal is better in town for performance, ECO, is still good on the Hwy with noticeable improvement in acceleration merging from the on ramps.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-wp_20151220_14_44_59_pro.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-wp_20151220_14_45_11_pro.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-wp_20151220_14_45_20_pro.jpg   2016 Outlander... "Galactica"-wp_20151220_14_45_35_pro.jpg  

Last edited by Krakker; 12-20-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by Krakker
Got some progress on it with a break in the weather today. Put the AVS vent visors on it, Got the rear De-badged, (there's a body "divot" in the back and it's "inset" where the triple D's go) I also took off the engine cover, gonna do some paint work on the diamonds and I think I'm going to use all the lettering I took off the back, paint it the same as the diamonds and it'll spell "outlandish". Still waiting for the RRM crank pulley and timing controller to show up.

Got an idea as to where I'll put an oil catch can to vent the intake side and maybe the vent at the intake tube. (working on changing that out to tubing) Also took out the intake snorkel and removed the "giant" what ever baffle thingy on the top. WTF on that Mitsu??? Used a dremel with C/O wheel, cleaned it up, and siliconed a stainless disk I had (from the lazer cutter) inside and out. Looks SOOO much better.

I got some samples of what color Purple to put on it and accent stuff, engine bay, etc... Let me know what you think??? I'm leaning to #2 first choice, and #1 second choice. (to also cover the Chrome trim)
pics show the work, and the baffle on the intake tube that'll get removed, and the fuse cover that will get some color treatment. On to the show. lol

Just curious about the 2016 rear taillights do they completely light up because on my 08 the center parts of the taillights on the rear door do not light up.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
Just curious about the 2016 rear taillights do they completely light up because on my 08 the center parts of the taillights on the rear door do not light up.
Just the lower portion comes on when braking (with lights off) I'll have to get some pics of the tail lights in action when both on and off.
At some point, I'm going yo change out the bulbs to LED's.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:59 PM

Am I missing something? First post sounds like you're continuing a post. Was it started elsewhere? Anyway, I like the fact that you're modding your Outlander. It looks like it's not as common as other cars so it's good to see here. I just wanted to say that I applaud and encourage you to continue. These might not be my first choices in mods, but you bring valuable experience to the community tinkering with stuff. I plan to do some once mine arrives. Not sure what. I just know I want to mute some of the chrome. Also curious what performance mods if any exist for the Outlander. Anyway, keep doing what you're doing.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:47 AM

lol,,, yeah is does sound like I started it some time before. It was just the way I was starting out the day I guess. I had mentioned somewhere else that I had got a new one and was waiting for it to show up, AND I was out of town on business when they delivered it.
I too am NOT a big fan of chrome, but I'll admit, it's better looking on the 16's than previous models. I've actually switched gears and am going to be using a RED chrome cover for the sides of the grill and the emblems. I'll grey out the rest of the chrome on the grill and blacken the upper portion that's already grey.

As for parts for performance, RRM,, "Road Race Motorsports" is the only game on the web for true dedicated performance upgrades. I'm currently working on another forum that will have all the page and parts info by year and model for the Outlander and Outlander Sport. I will share that here as well. I've used RRM parts on the last 3 Mitsu CUV's I've had. 13 Sport w/ 2.0, 14 Outlander, and now 16 Outlander.
A few of my friends use RRM parts on their EVO's just cause they're so reliable and well made. (not knock off junk)

Good luck with your new Outlander, there's plenty of stuff for consmetics on the bay or amazon. If you want performance,,,, RRM is your best bet. (only bet) I recommend the pulley for sure.......

Old 12-22-2015, 01:13 PM

Looking forward to more pics, especially the front grill. I went to the RRM site. Pickings are slim over there, but it's a start. And it looks like most products are for the Sport or 2WD CVT's. Not much for GT's. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by theSaint024
Looking forward to more pics, especially the front grill. I went to the RRM site. Pickings are slim over there, but it's a start. And it looks like most products are for the Sport or 2WD CVT's. Not much for GT's. Thanks for the info.
Check out 2014 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb Mitsubishi safety vehicle.
They had some pretty sweet GT's and I know they were lowered, had exhaust and intake. Not sure on other mods, but they've got stickers on them you could investigate.

Personally, I think they should use all their years of knowledge on the 4B11 or 4B12 and turbo-4 the GT models. Save weight and get better ECO / power.
Hyundai's 2.0T motor is based off the Mitsu, and they offer a 10yr war N T....
They could save their selves some inventory, unless they don't have capacity to provide that many I4's and use the V6 in something else.
Just my .02 . . . . . I may be looking into the RRM turbo kit for mine after a while. They've got it setup to work without killing the CVT. (They provide a larger trans cooler as well)

Quick Reply: 2016 Outlander... "Galactica"