Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

3.0 v6 motor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Does the Outlander GT 2010, 2011 ... need premium gasoline, or not?

Can it use regular gasoline (U.S.) without damaging the vehicle in any way? Or affecting the warranty? Or not?

Does it 'ping' like crazy on regular gasoline?

Or is it fine on regular gasoline?

I had a brand new '84 T-Bird turbo coupe with a stick (in '84), which required premium gasoline and it pinged like crazy with regular. I hated each fill-up looking at what it cost me, each time, and I do not want a vehicle that p's me off every time I have to pump gasoline into it .... Which is every week.

I will hate it again on an Outlander GT, if it is a necessity. Let me know if it is, if you know. I have read reviews that imply that regular is O.K.

Just checking things out on a good forum, before I buy (it looks like a great vehicle).

Thanks.

Don

(P.S. I think this is funny [YMMV] -- I traded the T-Bird in, in '91 with about 120K on the clock, and I think I got about $895 for it. At that point it was worthless anyway, apparently designed to self destruct with that kind of mileage. Rust + problems O'Plenty. I drove the new / replacement car home and went for a walk, which took me by a Brooks Brothers store a couple of blocks away. There was a new suit in the window with an $895 price tag on it. Wow. I wear blue jeans to work now, whenever possible)

Last edited by taylerdo; 08-09-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by cheech
is it a good habit to use regular then once in a while put premium? i used to do that on my older denali. would using premium hurt the 2007 mitsu motor?
Originally Posted by Elisha
The requirement for premium vs regular is a hardware requirement. So if your engine recommends regular, then using premium would do nothing cause the engine wouldn't know how to use the higher octane. Your knock and ping sensor would be working harder to compensate for the difference in octane!
Elisha is close, but wanted to expand and get a little specific...hopefully it'll answer Cheech.

Octane is a rating for fuel that describes how hard/fast a fuel will burn. Lower the rating, the easier/faster it will combust. It does not describe quality of the fuel.

So for the 07-09 engines that specify regular (generally 87) fuel...using a fuel that is higher will mean that the fuel will ignite later than it should. This will mean a decrease in performance as the expanding gasses will not be starting out at optimum volume. Since the combustion using premium delays the combustion of the fuel, there is no pre-detonation/knocking for the knock sensors to adjust the timing.

Since the '10+ uses a higher compression, regular fuel will be more likely to combust prematurely. This premature combustion is called detonation or knock. Fortunately, our engines have knock sensors and will then retard the timing of the spark to help delay the complete combustion of the fuel. My ranger does not have such sensors and since I've had it, if I put the engine under high load in the winter...it sounds like pebbles are rattling around in the engine. So using premium fuel in a higher combustion engine works out since the fuel burns later, but the higher compression ignites it faster. The higher the compression, the more performance as more gasses are used to expand a given volume within the combustion chamber.

I've helped my cousin race dirt track stock cars. They use such a high compression ratio, that they burn alcohol based fuel instead of gasoline. alcohol is harder to combust, so it works out. A given amount of alcohol vs the same amount of gasoline does not produce more engergy...but due to the higher compression, there is more performance.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by taylerdo
Does the Outlander GT 2010, 2011 ... need premium gasoline, or not?

Can it use regular gasoline (U.S.) without damaging the vehicle in any way? Or affecting the warranty? Or not?

I had a brand new '84 T-Bird turbo coupe with a stick (in '84), which required premium gasoline and it pinged like crazy with regular. I hated each fill-up looking at what it cost me, each time, and I do not want a vehicle that p's me off every time I have to pump gasoline into it .... Which is every week.

I will hate it again on an Outlander GT, if it is a necessity. Let me know if it is, if you know. I have read reviews that imply that regular is O.K.

Just checking things out on a good forum, before I buy (it looks like a great vehicle).

Thanks.

Don

(P.S. I think this is funny [YMMV] -- I traded the T-Bird in, in '91 with about 120K on the clock, and I think I got about $895 for it. At that point it was worthless anyway, apparently designed to self destruct with that kind of mileage. Rust + problems O'Plenty. I drove the new / replacement car home and went for a walk, which took me by a Brooks Brothers store a couple of blocks away. There was a new suit in the window with an $895 price tag on it. Wow. I wear blue jeans to work now, whenever possible)

In response to people hating to spend about $.20 more a gallon on premium fuel for the V6. Do the simple math of the bigger picture...

I drive 15,000 to 18,000 miles a year mainly highway, I sold my 2009 Lancer GTS to get my 2010 Outlander XLS with the V6. Premium fuel is recommended for the V6 and usually when a manufacturer suggests that fuel it is for a reason as stated by previous posts for specific reasons. So for 18,000 miles a year at an average of 22 (I am averaging about 25mpg with my Outlander XLS with a K and N air filter) mile per gallon with premium fuel usually costing $.20 more a gallon that is only $163.36 dollars more a year to run premium. If that is not affordable than you probably shouldn't be buying a 6 cylinder car anyway and opt for the 4 cylinder car and not a crossover because the milage on the lancer I was getting between 27 and 30 miles to the gallon with a K and N air filter. Regular unleaded is all I used in my Lancer for the 2 years of owning it and it was great. You can tell when the recommended fuel is not used, I tried that in my Altima 3.5SE and you can tell the difference in power and fuel consumption, the engines are optimized to run on the recommended fuel type.

Car recommend regular, running premium=waste of money
Car recommend premium, running regular=inefficient power and possible long term affects on the performance of the engine

Hopefully this wasn't too blunt but this topic seems to be a super repetitive conversation on this forum.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the response, but it is not blunt at all. It is very soft and runny, actually, and avoids answering the questions.

As Vadimus said previously, "recommended" does not mean "required."

Anyone who really knows, please.

Thanks.

Don

Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the clarification

Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by taylerdo
Thanks for the response, but it is not blunt at all. It is very soft and runny, actually, and avoids answering the questions.

As Vadimus said previously, "recommended" does not mean "required."

Thanks.

Don
If you read ccernst post he explains the difference very well between premium and regular fuel. If something happens you have a 5yr/60,000 mile warranty. No you will not void the warranty because premium fuel is not required, if the dealership gives you a hard time get a hold of the Mitsubishi rep in your area and they should take care of it. To be this concerned over $160 more for premium fuel a year is a little petty when your going to spend $27,000 on a new vehicle. So I didn't really avoid the question there just seems to be way too much concern on this Outlander forum over premium fuel, buy the four cylinder and save your self the $160 plus a couple of grand of the top, or the 6 cylinder with regular fuel if that will make you happy.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 PM

The "assurances" are petty, and a joke.

If I am going to spend "$27,000 on a new vehicle" and rely on bs, please cite facts, not non-sense.

Thanks.

Don

Last edited by taylerdo; 08-11-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Sounds like you won't be convinced unless you call your local stealership.

Anyone can cite sources....because there are sites out there that will say both sides of your argument because anyone will take your money...and that includes your stealership.

You could also research it a bit yourself and bring back what you've found. That let you find the answers you are looking for as well as show others with the same need for that level of answer.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:35 PM

I agree with ccernst, ignorance and hostility has clearly taken over taylerdo, no matter what answers you get on here you will not be satisfied unless you talk to a dealership. I suggest you talk directly to the service manager and not a sales person. The Outlander is a great vehicle no matter what fuel you choose to put in it, good luck with whatever route you choose to go.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:03 PM

The characterization is both inaccurate, and self serving. Also, and most obviously, the answer the questions' posited remain unanswered.

But thanks anyway. The response provides insight into integrity and credibility.

Don

Last edited by taylerdo; 08-11-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.0 v6 motor question