Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

3.0 v6 motor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:40 PM
tcp
Default Ok

The outlander doesn't require premium fuel. It will run fine, and not cause any problems with warranty, if you run on regular gas. You will get 230 hp out of the engine if you run premium, because the engine timing can advance far enough to get you the rated output. If you run regular gas the engine can't advance timing quite as far and you will lose a few HP(5-8). Modern engines have advanced knock sensors that actually "listen" for knocking and retard the timing until the knock is no longer there.

Knock Sensor Operation - YouTube

What does a knock sensor do

Old 08-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by taylerdo
Does the Outlander GT 2010, 2011 ... need premium gasoline, or not?
no

Can it use regular gasoline (U.S.) without damaging the vehicle in any way? Or affecting the warranty? Or not?
Read my explanation about premature detonation...or google it, then think about what your engine is compensating against. You will not void your warranty. But will you believe me?? probably not.

Does it 'ping' like crazy on regular gasoline?
Read the explanation about knock sensors.

Or is it fine on regular gasoline?
you already asked this question. see above.

I will hate it again on an Outlander GT, if it is a necessity. Let me know if it is, if you know. I have read reviews that imply that regular is O.K.
...If only there were a center of people...who really knew about Mitsubishi vehicles...one could talk to...for free. That'd be pretty kick *** if you ask me.

Just checking things out on a good forum, before I buy (it looks like a great vehicle).
It is a great vehicle...and lots of good support here in the forums.

Originally Posted by ccernst
Elisha is close, but wanted to expand and get a little specific...hopefully it'll answer Cheech.

Octane is a rating for fuel that describes how hard/fast a fuel will burn. Lower the rating, the easier/faster it will combust. It does not describe quality of the fuel.

So for the 07-09 engines that specify regular (generally 87) fuel...using a fuel that is higher will mean that the fuel will ignite later than it should. This will mean a decrease in performance as the expanding gasses will not be starting out at optimum volume. Since the combustion using premium delays the combustion of the fuel, there is no pre-detonation/knocking for the knock sensors to adjust the timing.

Since the '10+ uses a higher compression, regular fuel will be more likely to combust prematurely. This premature combustion is called detonation or knock. Fortunately, our engines have knock sensors and will then retard the timing of the spark to help delay the complete combustion of the fuel. My ranger does not have such sensors and since I've had it, if I put the engine under high load in the winter...it sounds like pebbles are rattling around in the engine. So using premium fuel in a higher combustion engine works out since the fuel burns later, but the higher compression ignites it faster. The higher the compression, the more performance as more gasses are used to expand a given volume within the combustion chamber.

I've helped my cousin race dirt track stock cars. They use such a high compression ratio, that they burn alcohol based fuel instead of gasoline. alcohol is harder to combust, so it works out. A given amount of alcohol vs the same amount of gasoline does not produce more engergy...but due to the higher compression, there is more performance.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 PM

Shill.

Although tcp's post was informative.

So thanks for your efforts.

Don

Last edited by taylerdo; 08-11-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:57 PM

you have your answers...believe them or not. If not, help us all out, find the best answer, come back and share what you find. really a pretty easy method.

sitting like a bump on a log...just complaining and waiting to be spoon-fed doesn't help anyone.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:25 AM

The 6B31 has dual knock sensors, so you shouldn't have any issue. It doesn't have any fancy features like DFI (although I wish it did), so you don't need extra detergents in the fuel to keep it clean (which anything above regular has).
However, I would think they have optimized it to use less fuel on premium, so it may be the same price as regular if it burns more fuel (if it actually does burn more).

Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the information.

Here is some more information, which may be helpful to everyone, including the helpful posters, the shills with bottles of snake oil / booze bottle (see another post,) and the simply disingenuous. You know who you are. So there is no need to personalize it.

Here you go ...

I spoke with Nancy at Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. at 1-888-648-7820. Just suffer through the propaganda, hit the right buttons, and you can talk to a real person. Maybe even Nancy.

See Lease, Loan, Vehicle & Other Frequently Asked Questions | Mitsubishi Motors

Here is what I found out:

In Mitsubishi “speak,” “recommended” has the following meaning –

Gasoline is a fluid. If you use an improper fluid in your Mitsubishi vehicle, you may be asking for trouble with respect to a warranty claim. The use of an improper fluid, like regular gasoline in a 2010 / 2011 Outlander GT (or XLS,) may possibly (there are no absolutes here) affect your warranty claim if it was “recommended” that premium gasoline be used, due to the following caveats:

You used an improper fluid, or misused a fluid, voiding your warranty;
It is considered to be an improper modification;
It constitutes a lack of proper maintenance;
It constitutes an improper accessory.

I believe the main concern is the use of an “improper fluid,” but as you can see there is / are a myriad of possibilities here to possibly void your warranty (with respect to fixing your engine, at least.)

Feel free to call Nancy yourself. She awaits your call. She knows that you are out there. I told her. And she was very pleasant and helpful. So why don't you call and ask for yourself ?

Hope this is helpful to everyone. Have fun.

All reasoned comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Don

Last edited by taylerdo; 08-17-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the information.

Here is some more information, which may be helpful to everyone, including the helpful posters, the shills with bottles of snake oil / booze bottle (see another post,) and the simply disingenuous. You know who you are. So there is no need to personalize it.

Here you go ...

I spoke with Nancy at Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. at 1-888-648-7820. Just suffer through the propaganda, hit the right buttons, and you can talk to a real person. Maybe even Nancy.

See Lease, Loan, Vehicle & Other Frequently Asked Questions | Mitsubishi Motors

Here is what I found out:

In Mitsubishi “speak,” “recommended” has the following meaning –

Gasoline is a fluid. If you use an improper fluid in your Mitsubishi vehicle, you may be asking for trouble with respect to a warranty claim. The use of an improper fluid, like regular gasoline in a 2010 / 2011 Outlander GT (or XLS,) may possibly (there are no absolutes here) affect your warranty claim if it was “recommended” that premium gasoline be used, due to the following caveats:

You used an improper fluid, or misused a fluid, voiding your warranty;
It is considered to be an improper modification;
It constitutes a lack of proper maintenance;
It constitutes an improper accessory.

I believe the main concern is the use of an “improper fluid,” but as you can see there is / are a myriad of possibilities here to possibly void your warranty (with respect to fixing your engine, at least.)

Feel free to call Nancy yourself. She awaits your call. She knows that you are out there. I told her. And she was very pleasant and helpful. So why don't you call and ask for yourself ?

Hope this is helpful to everyone. Have fun.

All reasoned comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Don

OMG! i used water in my windshield washer once when i ran out of summer wahser "fluid". if Mitsubishi finds out they will void my warranty! this is SCARY...

Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by kalayaan
OMG! i used water in my windshield washer once when i ran out of summer wahser "fluid". if Mitsubishi finds out they will void my warranty! this is SCARY...
Yeah, that's kinda like that - driving on highway only is recommended. Driving on the streets can possibly void your warranty.
I guess it is the BS, as any court would dismiss such "soft requirements".

Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM

I tracked the mileage between prem and regular, and found that the premium did actually return better mileage. It was only a diff of 1.8L/100k though, not too huge. However, when pulling my trailer, it went from 17L/100K to 13L/100k from Reg to Prem. I figure for the extra $5/tank, I'm just going to run Prem all the time and enjoy all the performance I paid for.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by codetrap
I tracked the mileage between prem and regular, and found that the premium did actually return better mileage. It was only a diff of 1.8L/100k though, not too huge. However, when pulling my trailer, it went from 17L/100K to 13L/100k from Reg to Prem. I figure for the extra $5/tank, I'm just going to run Prem all the time and enjoy all the performance I paid for.
You convinced me, I will definitely try prem for couple of weeks.

I occasionally use premium but not regularly so I did not see the mileage difference. What I did notice is 0-100 acceleration time, on prem it is more than 1 sec faster