Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

30K mile service

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017 | 11:38 PM
|
Default 30K mile service

hello everyone!

i have a question regarding regular maintenance service for my outlander.
while doing oil change at my local dealership, the service guy reminded me that i need to perform the 30K mile service, which cost ~$600 and includes:

1 oil/filter change
2 tire rotation
3 air filter replacement
4 fuel injection/air induction decarbonization cleaning service
5 coolant system fluid service
6 transmission fluid service
7 maintenance inspection

i did not agree to perform the service right away and checked my maintenance manual after going back home. in the maintenance schedule listed in the manual, most items listed for 30K service are "Check XXX conditions", XXX= transaxle, oil level, coolant hose, brake etc. it does not mention anything about decarbonization or fluid service.

im wondering do you recommend these types of service that my local dealership mentioned?

many thanks!

Old 08-27-2017 | 05:30 PM

My two cents, but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable folks. I would say 1,2,3 are a given since they are regular and easy to do yourself or cheap. 4 is iffy. Most engines never see a fuel injection/carbon clean in it's life. Not to say some don't need them, it depends on driving conditions. If you have rough idle, cleaning would probably help. 5 and 6 should be done regularly, but this is also a relatively easy thing if you don't actually do a full flush. From my understanding, service departments don't do full flushes, but rather drain and fill (not the same). 7 usually doesn't mean anything as they say this for everything. Even quick lube places include this 10 minute inspection.

TL;DR, I would get 1,2,3,5,6. If you don't want to or unable to do yourself, you can get this done for much less, with most of the cost being fluid services. I don't even think I'd do more than a top up for 5 and 6 unless you are noticing strange or rough behavior. Not surprisingly, that dealer quote is dealer pricing with retail probably being 30% cheaper. I do follow the service recommendations pretty closely, but I don't change things other than oil and air filters unless they are required. I rotate tires every 7500 religiously.

Old 08-28-2017 | 01:36 PM
|

thank you theSaint024! i'll skip 4 but do the fluid services then.

Old 08-28-2017 | 02:41 PM

30k, 60k, 100k so called checks are stealership rip offs. remember that most time, that cost can be only to check your car fully. then wait till you get the bill and see that each job done had an extra $100 riding on it. I know, i worked at a few shops and dealerships before. doing most things such as oil change, air filter, coolant, and transmission change are all things that can be learned and done in a garage for less than $100. Find the qualified rating of your fluids. before even spending a dime on it. check and see if its burned out. most new oils can go 5k or 7k fine if you are a careful driver. air filter you can find at any autozone and change it youself, try getting a quality air filter like K&N. they are better and washable n vacuum proof. all that other paper and half cotton air filters are a money pit for you to come back in a few months for more cheap air filters.

i agree with the above comment of the fuel injector cleaning crap. unless you live in the 120 degree desert heat or desert sand or just love riding your car up a 45 degree angle all year long, you dont need it. its also a ripoff.

coolant system, check the color and level, check for leaks, if the color is a clear (depends on OEM color format) this is also easily flushed.

cvt at 30K, check the color first, if its dark color then consider a change, if its still a light color it should be fine.

maintenance inspection is a joke as well. they just check your hoses, brake lines, joints and under body for leaks... pop the car up and check yourself... problem solved.

a few good guys on utube are chrisfix and scottykilmer. also consider finding your OEM repair manual online as well as a simple scan tool for future use. it can save you lots of 'BS' you are sold at many dishonest shops or stealerships.

we have to return to the old days were we all took care of our homes, cars, and yards. once you get into the upkeep of your own car, it can even become a peaceful experience.

cheers!

Old 09-13-2017 | 06:40 PM

600 is way too high, i was at the dealer today to buy some j4 cvt fluid and the prices werent that high, maybe in the 300 range for the 30 k service.., the fuel service bs is most likely them using their fuel cleaner product that u can purchase for like 20 bucks...i have around 33k on my sport and the tranny change was just like a oil change, the service manual does not say to do a flush, it tells them to drain and fill 5.39 l back in...the coolant which i have not done yet is probably just as easy..

Old 01-19-2018 | 03:05 PM

Joined the forum today searching for this exact topic. Just hit 30k in our '16 Outlander and took it in to the dealership for an oil change because they sent us a coupon for $29.99. My wife was hit with the "you need the 30k mi service for $500" and when she refused it they told her they would mark it on the vehicle service report that she refused which could affect warranty work later. This is our second Outlander, first one was a 2014 & we traded it in at 50k miles for the '16 because they were running end of year sales, etc and we really liked the vehicle. This particular dealership is the most convenient to take it to for service, but every time we take it in for an oil change there is always other "highly recommended services needed" that aren't listed in the owner's manual maintenance schedule or on the recommended maintenance schedule on Mitsubishi's website.
We also own a '16 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Back Country & 2012 Corvette Grand Sport and follow the recommended maintenance outlined in the owner's manual without any hassle for added services from those dealerships. Is this just a Mitsubishi thing, or do I need to have the transmission fluid changed at 30k even though it is not listed in the maintenance schedule? Thanks!

Old 01-19-2018 | 09:42 PM

You can shop around and have that same servie provided elsewhere then keep records and send a copy to your mitsubishi country service center. Sometimes you can do this online.

In usa this is the FCC quote:

“The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.“

Old 01-19-2018 | 09:43 PM

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

A informed customer is a dealers worst nightmare!!!

Old 01-23-2018 | 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Luar
You can shop around and have that same servie provided elsewhere then keep records and send a copy to your mitsubishi country service center. Sometimes you can do this online.

In usa this is the FCC quote:

“The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.“
I understand that, I've been doing most of my own maintenance on my cars for the last 25 years. My real question is are those services the dealership is saying are required at 30k miles really needed? I don't see anything in the maintenance schedule on auto transmission fluid change nor replacing the spark plugs at 30k as the dealership is recommending. As long as I follow the stated maintenance schedule, I shouldn't have any issues with warranty work down the road. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2018 | 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I understand that, I've been doing most of my own maintenance on my cars for the last 25 years. My real question is are those services the dealership is saying are required at 30k miles really needed? I don't see anything in the maintenance schedule on auto transmission fluid change nor replacing the spark plugs at 30k as the dealership is recommending. As long as I follow the stated maintenance schedule, I shouldn't have any issues with warranty work down the road. Thanks.
if you read the maint schedule in the user manual, there are a lot of "recommendations". spark plugs aren't due (on the v6) for 100k miles.

to the OP, why are you going to the dealership for stuff like oil changes??? unless they are right around the corner, another mechanic can do the work, use better stuff, and likely charge you less.

#4 is a load of bull.
#6 my local stealership suggested every 45k miles for my 6-speed auto. has worked great since.
#7 is a load of bull. I changed mine out at 3 years (somewhere around 75k miles) and put in Peak Global Lifetime. My radiator finally popped at 10years. I'm only going to re-fill to correct level using Peak Global Lifetime. Since I changed the fluid, I've tested the fluid with an ohm meter...never had an issue. Use a good fluid, you don't have to change it as often.