Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

30k service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Default 30k service?

Any clue what all the dealer does/ and or inspects? And also about how much does the dealer charge for everything?
Im only at 20k now so awhile to go i was just curious, so i could see if i would want them to do it or if its easier and less expensive for me to do it all myself and just by the parts/products.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Default RE: 30k service?

I believe edmunds.com does that cost to own thing that will tell you that.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:32 AM

Does the manual say what's included?

I'm sure you can at least do the easy things yourself

Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 AM

In the Diesel engine at 30k inspection in Europe they change the air filter, particle filter, oil filter and put new oil ( 5W-40 ) which costs all in total around € 250 or $ 350.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:42 PM

I checked the manual there is a bunch of stuff listed. I know i can do all the simple stuff. But there are a few things i have never done, like it says to flush and change the coolant, and also to change transmission fluid. Are these two things simple enough?

Old 08-24-2007, 09:44 AM

30K is awful early for tranny and coolant changes...is this for severe duty or is it just a check?

Old 09-17-2007, 05:21 PM

My wife has a 2006 SE with 30k on it. I do all of the service myself. I am the kinda guy that dosnt trust anyone else touching my or my wife's car. I also am a maintanence nut, a do it yourself BMW mechanic and a 2nd year law student, which is good b/c if Mitsu ever trys to screw me on the powertrain warranty I will be taking them: 1st through arbitration and then (If that dosnt work) suing them and the dealer that sold me the car seeking specific performance of the warranty plus dragging thier good name through the local media. I know my rights!

But as for the 30k maintenence. You should

1) Service the tranny. This will cost about 180 dollars at the dealer. You have to have a special machine to flush it. I had access to one so it only cost me 60 bucks for the factory fluid (with some discounts and haggling on the fluid). You should ALWAYS change your tranny fluid every 30k. Most people dont, but if you want it to go the distance it is preferable. One of my old BMW's with an auto has over 350k on the original transmission. THAT tranny was serviced every 15k from DAY 1, BUT of course on that we didnt need to flush it every time, we could do the old "drop drain" and filter change. You cant do this on the 4G69 Outie. It has an internal filter that they say will last a lifetime. Frequently changing fluids is essential to long term reliability.

2) Change coolent. You should change coolent once every 2 years. This has worked on my BMW's very well. This is not hard to do. There is a coolent plug under your radiator. You could prob. do this yourself, BUT you might want to pay someone to do it. If you do it yourself use Prestone aluminum friendly 50/50 (50% water, 50% coolent). Its already premixed for you so you should have no worries.

3) Adjust the valves. Yes it's 2007 and you still have to do this. This will run you about 120 at the dealer. It takes about 15 mins to do, requires a special tool you can buy on amazon for 13 bucks (http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-64882...ews/B0002Q8TU0), a filler gauge and the valve specs which I dont have in front of me at present, but I think there is a 4G69 (your engine) Lancer spec manual floating around on the forum. You will also need a rocker cover gasket. This is something that you need to do to keep good fuel economy, AND keep theengine running at its optimal performance. It may need this earlier, dependeing upon how you drive it. If the engine is "tciking" loudly at idel chances are you need to do this. If you dont fancy yourself a tech, pay somebody to do it. You can cause problems if you do it wrong. But of course you may not need to do this right now. How is your fuel economy? If you feel that it is slipping, you prob. need to do this.

4) In cabin arifilter. VERY EASY to replace. It is behind your glove box. It is really good to change this once a year but it can be privey. They cost about 70 bucks. If you cant do it once a year do it every 2 years.

5) Oil (its given) VERY easy on this car. Use the OEM filter for peace of mind and go with Mobil 1 Full syn. 5w30. You will need about 5 qts. (I think 4.7 on the mark) Add 4 and then check it.

6) Front Brake pads (MAYBE). The factory pads have a vibration problem under breaking from 50 to 70 mph. This was due to the way the pad was designed. Mitsu fixed this with the new pads but b/c there is no major problem (just a slight annoyance) with the factory installed pads, they kept it hush hush. Most dealers dont even know this. IF you notice this (my wife didnt) you can buy you some pads for about 60 bucks. Your rotors should be fine. The pads are EASY to change.

7) you could check your spark plugs. IF you are a maintencne nut, like me you change them once every 30k or 2 years. But you prob dont need to do this. IT just depends on how you feel about it.

That shoudl about do it for the 30k. If you take it in they will "Lube" your chasis, inspect your brakes, look at hoses, etc. and change coolent/oiil and flush tranny. The stuff you MUST do is change coolent, flush tranny, change oil, and the in cabin air filter. The valve and brakes are all up to you. You may not need to do either. Its your call.

Hope that helped.