Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Add aftermarket amplifier to stock audio head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by PD_BARBS
Great thread, helped answer some questions I had about adding an Alpine unit to replace the standard stereo on my 2010 outlander. But one problem I seem to be having is trying to find a facia that matches the dash on my outie.

The Metra and Scosche MI3015B ones seem to be plain black while my outlander has a chain mail type effect. Does anyone know where I can get one that matches the dash, preferrably in Eurpoe as I live in Ireland.

Thanks

Peter
I have not studied the texture and paint color on the Outlander yet as I only put a deposit on mine and have not purchased it yet. In general terms, if you need to change the surface texture and color of plastic trim parts, the best product on the market is a line of paints made by SEM. They have a broad range of color options, the paint adheres well to plastic, and they have a texture spray that goes on before the color coat if smooth plastic is not what you want. The 'grain' of the texture is variable depending on how far away you hold the spray can. I don't know about the availability of SEM spray paints in Ireland but if there is a thriving aftermarket mobile electronics industry there, chances are the professionals use SEM products.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Default Suggestions on how to add aftermarket amp to stock head unit

Originally Posted by mchang40
Is it possible to add an additional amplifier to the stock audio head unit in the outlander. My dinky 140 watt stock head unit doesn't do it for me. I thought that modern amplifiers require RCA inputs. Does the stock head unit on the Outlander have RCA outputs that I can connect to an aftermarket amp? I do realize that I will want to upgrade the speakers because the cheap stock speaker may blow out. However, I do not want to replace the Head Unit if I don't have to.
The stock head unit does not have RCA output connectors but that does not mean you can't add an aftermarket amplifier relatively easily. Goldenboy has some good suggestions but I don't think you should buy a LOC unless absolutely necessary. They usually are not needed when keeping the OEM head unit. The reason is because most OEM stereos send a high level signal in the 5-10 volt range back to their rear mounted or underseat amplifiers. They do this because it eliminates a lot of problems with noise. I don't know if this applies to the Outlander system because I just bought mine. I have not had time to measure it. I strongly suspect it does apply but recommend you do a little more research to find out if I am correct. Measuring my car won't help you unless you have the Rockford Fosgate system.

If you have high level outputs and if you don't mind cutting the OEM wires and soldering on RCA connectors, you could just use the factory wiring and modify the connectors at the amplifier location to include RCA plugs for an aftermarket amp. You will want to make sure you buy an amp that can handle high level signals at its input. Remove the factory amp and mount the aftermarket amp in the same location. This would be the lowest cost, simplest approach to upgrading but it only works if you are comfortable doing the work yourself. I would never trust cutting and soldering the OEM harness to the average mobile installer at a Best Buy store or similar chain store.

If you are not comfortable cutting and modifying the OEM wiring, then a line output converter (LOC) may be the best way for you to do this.