Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Advice for a possible new Outlander owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:29 PM

I go by the conventional wisdom of never getting the base model. This applies to almost everything, even outside of cars. These are price point, marketing schemes just to advertise the lowest possible price. They strip out all of the things that make the car what it should be. Agree that leather seats are a preference and not necessary, but backup camera is essential in any car let alone an SUV. Fog lights can be essential. I use mine a few times a week in SF. I'm not real familiar with the differences between models, but I would always avoid base. Not saying there is a no place for them, as some buyers find exactly what they need in base or can only squeeze out a certain amount of money (that's a whole 'nother story and should reconsider buying a new car anyway). But if you are compromising on desired/necessary features, it is relatively extra money for the "real" version of the car. You're talking maybe 5% more for modern amenities and some legit safety equipment. My 2 cents.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:07 PM

i bought quite few brand new cars in my life. I usually go to dealer with my formula. 15% off MSRP + tax, registration. If dealer offering less then that, just walk away. Its works on any make, any model. If you have time, try to push little more - say up to 18% off. I have gotten 18% off, but all negotiations took about 1 month. Wait until October-November, buy 2016 model and you should be able to get 18% easily.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by LABAMBA
The more research I do the more I lean towards the SE. I think it is definitely worth the extra money. Push start, backup cam, leather steering wheel, fog lights. It's a lot for just an extra couple hundred. Also the SE will probably keep a lot more of its value down the road than the base model.

Now I just have to find a dealership that is willing to sell for what I want to pay. And I definitely want it in white

Hopefully soon i'll be on here looking up the maintenance threads as I do all that stuff myself.

Thank you all for the replies!
Search on cars.com, I found my $24,000 2016 SEL there.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Default Awesome!!Outlander!!

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
I recommend going with the best top of the line model you can afford, if you do not later on down the road you will regret it and spend more on aftermarket that leaves you wanting. Shop around truecar.com is your friend. I recommend getting an extended mitsubishi warranty to protect your vehicle bumper to bumper for a nice long time, always ask for a better price everything is negotiable. Mitsubishi just got bought out by Nissan and they are planning a big roll out of SUVs/Crossovers/Electric Vehicles. They have been doing extremely well and are committed to staying and expanding in the US.
No other brand gives you bang for your buck like Mitsubishi I have had three of them already!
I fully agree!! I bought a 2015 SE copper in color. And it's very Sharp! And I got both 10Yr Bumper to bumper warranty. And MITSUBISHI,s are a Great Suv. The ES would be my last choice. Unless that's all you could afford. It's better to get Outlander then no Outlander. I wish I could afford a GT but am really happy with my SE! So be smart and go get your Outlander

Old 08-27-2016, 05:56 PM

I've been negotiating with the salesman on the 2016 Outlander SE.
Best deal so far is:
20,000 flat after -2000 rebate
+title + tax +80 doc fee

I'm looking at 22,000 out the door (CA taxes)

I called another dealer and they wouldn't beat it.

Comes with all the standard SE features plus some things like a roof rack and mudguards.

What do you guys think? Should I go for it?

Old 08-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Default Go for it!!!!

I've been negotiating with the salesman on the 2016 Outlander SE.
Best deal so far is:
20,000 flat after -2000 rebate
+title + tax +80 doc fee

I'm looking at 22,000 out the door (CA taxes)

I called another dealer and they wouldn't beat it.

Comes with all the standard SE features plus some things like a roof rack and mudguards.

What do you guys think? Should I go for it?
that's a Steal!!! Gooooo for it!!! I paid 27,000 for my 2015 SE copper

Old 08-27-2016, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Copper penny
that's a Steal!!! Gooooo for it!!! I paid 27,000 for my 2015 SE copper
I been doing more reading and it turns out I get taxed on the sales price before the rebate. So I will be paying taxes on 22,000 not 20,000.

I also get taxed 20 dollar gift cards i receive at work lol

The new creative ways the gov finds to fck us with taxes is actually impressive.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:04 PM
Default A Steal!!!

I been doing more reading and it turns out I get taxed on the sales price before the rebate. So I will be paying taxes on 22,000 not 20,000.

I also get taxed 20 dollar gift cards i receive at work lol

The new creative ways the gov finds to fck us with taxes is actually impressive.
That's still a Steal!! That's a very good SUV for less then 25,000 !!! On mine I had a 2,500 plus 500.00 in rebates.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:59 PM

Small setback, fellas.

I was back at the dealer today, having had negotiated the deal through email and getting the agreement confirmation through text (i have it all documented). I get there and my deal all of a sudden went from 20,090 to 20,900! Haha its a nice joke they tried to pull.

Needless to say, I walked out. I might try another dealer or just wait for the 2017's.
Now I got to see why that place has bad reviews online. Live and learn.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:29 AM

Small setback, fellas.

I was back at the dealer today, having had negotiated the deal through email and getting the agreement confirmation through text (i have it all documented). I get there and my deal all of a sudden went from 20,090 to 20,900! Haha its a nice joke they tried to pull.

Needless to say, I walked out. I might try another dealer or just wait for the 2017's.
Now I got to see why that place has bad reviews online. Live and learn.
i'm pretty sure they will cal you back in few weeks.

Quick Reply: Advice for a possible new Outlander owner