Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

AM radio reception interference

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Default AM radio reception interference

I did the customary searching in this forum and Google, but couldn't find anyone who has experienced this.

It wasn't always this way, but within the past 4 months or so, my AM radio reception has gained some interference. And, the interference seems to increase as the RPMs increase. Sometimes, it gets so bad, I can't even hear the AM station. I don't have any interference problems with the FM, AUX or Sirius.

I recall from my ealrier experiences with cars, that as plug wires aged, their resistance broken down and would cause interference. While, I really doubt anything like this is the problem.... the experience is similar.

Any one experience this?

'07 XLS (loaded)

Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Default RE: AM radio reception interference

Takethe carto the dealer, so you don't make the same mistake I made with my 2003 Hyundai Elantra (the car I owned before my outtie). The Elantra's AM reception slowly kept on getting worse and I dragged my feet on taking it to the dealer and when I finally did it was past the 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty for the radio. In the Elantra's case it was a problem within the radio itself, but the warranty had expired.

Like Hyundai, Mitsu only warrants the radio for 3 yrs, 36,000 mile, so get it to the dealer soon. So far I have not had any problems with AM reception on my outtie, but I've only had it a little more than 4 months.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Default RE: AM radio reception interference

you might have a problem with physics itself. am radio is a different type of frequency. im assuming you know all of this. am radio reception is awful, it goes far, but its quality goes down exponentialy, as you drive and hit hot and cold spots in the air, it will actually increase or decrease the resonance and the wave amplitude is highly affected by land. so unless your driving right beside the broadcast tower, your reception is constantly searching which is why am radio is junk. am radio cant bounce off of buildings as easily as fm rasio can either, so instead the penetrate and pick up interference and i can see this explaining why the radio goes crazy when you accelerate. if its something wrong with the radio i would be shocked, call and complain to your radio station for using the weakest type of signal there is.