Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

annoying srs light

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Default annoying srs light

So I was installing my sub/amp in my '06 Outlander SE, and in the process of wiring, disconnected battery as you should when installing this type of equipment. Well all is well, finished the install hooked the battery back up, everything works great. Only problem is that now my SRS light wont turn off. I dont know if this is because I disconnected the battery or what? I took it down to the dealer and they wanted to charge me $80 to do a full system diagnostic to make sure there arent any problems. Nothing changed except I unhooked the battery for about 10 minutes while I did the install. Any ideas on how to clear out/reset that stupid light without paying some idiot $80 to push the erase button on a ODB II reader?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Default RE: annoying srs light

Have you tried to unplug your battery again and wait 10 minutes and then plug it back in?

If the computer finds a problem with a SRS sensor (such as a sensor blew up when you hooked up the battery back on) then it will light up no matter what. $80 is still cheaper than having to buy new sensors ($300+) or the whole SRS unit ($1100+)

Look around the seats and make sure there are no unplugged sensors under the seats (maybe one moved out of placed while you were running your audio wire around)

Old 10-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

The srs light is on b/c you have an issue w/ your air bag system. Its not as simple as having some "idiot" and a dealer rest it. If its a hard fault the light will stay on no matter what. Try dissconecting the battery again and if the srs lights come on your gonna have to get it scanned and see what the code is and have it fixed.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:33 AM

I doubt that anything serious happened when you reconnected the battery, otherwise there should be a lot of SRS lights lit up right now just from a stereo install. Unless you mistakenly arced the power wire when you were reconnecting it (which is why it is recommended to remove the ground)...still highly unlikely.

Try disconnecting the battery again and this time press the brake pedal for at least ~15 seconds. Then reconnect the battery.
What did you install anyway? Is there some pertinent information that you may not be telling us? Did you arc the power, then decided to disconnect the battery? Something doesn't add up...spill the beans.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 AM

check if you connect the cable of the hazard lights, when i removed the radio i forgot to reconnect this cable and the SRS warning appears...

Old 10-10-2008, 08:58 AM

My experience about this: recently, my dealer made a reprogramming to the ETACS to on a function and damaged the SRS-ECU, reason why the SRS warning light remained ON. Solution, they replaced the SRS-ECU and the problem was corrected. .

Old 10-10-2008, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: silvercoupe97

I doubt that anything serious happened when you reconnected the battery, otherwise there should be a lot of SRS lights lit up right now just from a stereo install. Unless you mistakenly arced the power wire when you were reconnecting it (which is why it is recommended to remove the ground)...still highly unlikely.

Try disconnecting the battery again and this time press the brake pedal for at least ~15 seconds. Then reconnect the battery.
What did you install anyway? Is there some pertinent information that you may not be telling us? Did you arc the power, then decided to disconnect the battery? Something doesn't add up...spill the beans.
No, there's nothing withheld. lol. Everything went and now works fine. I disconnected the battery well before beginning to mess with any wiring to avoid arcing anything. (as should be done anytime you're messing with live wiring to avoid shorting anything out)

As to what I did; I ran a separate power line with an inline fuse to my amp, which also has it own fuse; and at the same time ran the speaker/remote wiring parrallel to the power line. I then used a bolt to ground the amp, hooked up the power and speakers; double checked all connections, and reconnected the battery. (I try to be as thorough as possible when making any mods or changes to my vehicles)

The outtie started up just fine, everything works, nothing sparked or sputtered. The SRS light just never went off; I'll trace my steps and check any sensors to make sure nothing was bumped loose or moved; as well as try to reset the system again by disconnecting the battery again and see if that helps. I'll let ya know if I find anything! Thanks!

Old 10-11-2008, 03:25 AM

If you pulled the plastic panels ten bucks says you disconnected the hazard light - also check the fuse on that circuit.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 AM

Sorry to resurrect a 10-year-old post, but it was the first post that came up.

I had the same problem and instead of taking it to the dealer who wanted $135 to reset the airbag light, I bought a Mitsubishi airbag scanner and reset it myself.

For those who have the same problem there is a great guide that can help get you started: Mitsubishi airbag light troubleshooting guide.

Old 12-22-2021, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by lovemymitsu
Sorry to resurrect a 10-year-old post, but it was the first post that came up.

I had the same problem and instead of taking it to the dealer who wanted $135 to reset the airbag light, I bought a Mitsubishi airbag scanner and reset it myself.

For those who have the same problem there is a great guide that can help get you started: Mitsubishi airbag light troubleshooting guide.
Hi, what brand of scanner did you use? I bought Topdon AL600 from Amazon but was not able to read the SRS code. The scanner can read the OBD2 diagnostics and ABS codes but not the SRS code. Thanks!