Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Auto on headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Default RE: Auto on headlight?

ORIGINAL: Malu

Well, depending on how the stalk is wired, and what connectors are available on the US versions, it might be possible to to wire in a switch which would make the system believe the stalk is in "auto-mode", without actually having to buy the new stalk. If this is possible (or you get the stalk with auto setting), my bet would be that you would get automatic headlights - it doesn't make much sense to remove the setting/part of the programfrom the software as well removing the hardware. My bet is that there is a setting for headlights (dash etc)and how it should react based upon the input from the stalk and overriding regional settings such the "always on" setting I must endure.

If we were able to get hold of some electrical schematics it should be easily discernable if a simple extra switch (or just a bridging cable) will give you automatic headlights.
I too believe that it shouldn't require any additional wires, but I don't know for sure. I think the photo sensor and the stalk should do it.
Have you seen the Service Manual available for download on this site?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Default RE: Auto on headlight?

The reason USA and Canadian outlander don’t get the toys heated mirrors auto headlights etc is because the cars are built to a price. In the UK our outlanders would cost you $45000 yours would cost us £13000 and you get the nice V6 engines and automatic gearboxes we don’t

Then there the extra design cost of making your car’s LHD because the Japanese cars are rhd in design

We would like to buy our cars for £13000 but I don’t think you would like to buy ours at $45000

Puddy