Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Auto Shift Mode no longer works

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Default Auto Shift Mode no longer works

When my wife bought her Outlander, the "sport shift" worked flawlessly until one day, it would no longer engage when the selector was moved over to the "sport" (or manual shift) position.

I'm curious if this is a common issue. If it is repairable (relay? sensor? fuse?)

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM

jake.

what happens if you hit the "up" paddle when you are driving in "auto" mode ?

that should also put the system into manual shift ( until you come to a stop ).

Old 06-18-2009, 02:08 PM

When you put it in "sport" shift mode do the lights on the dash move to the numbers or stay on the P R N D L lights ? If it doesn't move I suspect the switch in the shifter. If it does move it could be a problem in the transmission. I've never taken apart a transmission and all I technically know about it is that it is a dual clutch system. I have the same in my Spyder and find I do like using it on occasion.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 07outty
jake.
what happens if you hit the "up" paddle when you are driving in "auto" mode? that should also put the system into manual shift ( until you come to a stop ).
As my Outlander is an '03, I don't have "paddles," per se, I use the console shifter. I can move it over into the "sport" position and nothing happens.

Originally Posted by BrokeDad
When you put it in "sport" shift mode do the lights on the dash move to the numbers or stay on the P R N D L lights ? If it doesn't move I suspect the switch in the shifter. If it does move it could be a problem in the transmission. I've never taken apart a transmission and all I technically know about it is that it is a dual clutch system. I have the same in my Spyder and find I do like using it on occasion.
The lights on the dash do NOT illuminate... which, likewise, makes me think that it's electronic and not mechanical. I'd love to look into troubleshooting the switch, or if there is a relay that is associated with this function, I could check it as well.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:14 PM

It prolly a cheap fix then with the detection switch in the shifter. I don't know your car at all but if you can try spraying some electronic contact cleaner into it and working it back and forth. Otherwise it's one of those things you will have to take apart or to the dealer to have fixed. Best of luck.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:07 PM

the wiring has broken at the switch, located at the base of the shifter.

new parts are available for this.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
the wiring has broken at the switch, located at the base of the shifter.

new parts are available for this.
Thanks.
Do you know of any sources for info on the removal of the console, or should I just get in there and figure it out myself?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:12 PM

If your aren't comfortable taking it apart yourself then take the advice of Manybrews and myself and have a dealer or shop repair the switch/and or wiring.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by BrokeDad
If your aren't comfortable taking it apart yourself then take the advice of Manybrews and myself and have a dealer or shop repair the switch/and or wiring.
I'm capable of doing it myself, I'm just looking for a write-up or some tips on getting into the console. I'm so used to the BMW forums that have TONS of fantastic info and write-ups from other owners. Sure makes maintaining your own cars much easier.