Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Automatic transmission fluid level question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Default Automatic transmission fluid level question

Hey all,

It was time to check the tranny fluid level. I was in a mitsu dealership for something else so they just checked it for me and said it looked great.
I checked it myself when I got back, and according to the manual, once the engine reaches operating temp, it should be at the "H" mark. However, it wasn't close to the "H" mark, it was almost dead on to the notch that is between the "C" and the "H".

I guess my question is since the manual says it should be at the H mark, and it's not at all, why would the tech say it is fine. Could this be causing some of the hard shifting I have been experiencing in the lower gears (1 to 2, 2 to 1)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 PM

was the car on and in park?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
was the car on and in park?

Yup, was out driving for about an hour and then stopped, went through the gears, and left it running and put it in park.

I have a mechanic friend also and he looked at it and said it was fine too....I guess I just don't understand then why the manual says when it is hot, it should be right at the "H"mark, but two mechanics (including one a mitsu tech) says it's fine.

I guess when you guys check yours, is it right at the H mark or is it somewhere between the mid notch and H?

Old 08-29-2010, 06:17 PM
tcp
Default slightly under

you'r better off slightly under the max level than overfilled when it comes to transmission fluid or engine oil. There is always some in the pan but if it's over filled, it can froth or cause pressure problems for the valves/solenoids.

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Yup, was out driving for about an hour and then stopped, went through the gears, and left it running and put it in park.

I have a mechanic friend also and he looked at it and said it was fine too....I guess I just don't understand then why the manual says when it is hot, it should be right at the "H"mark, but two mechanics (including one a mitsu tech) says it's fine.

I guess when you guys check yours, is it right at the H mark or is it somewhere between the mid notch and H?