Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

aux input question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Default aux input question

whats up guys, beena long time, sorry for not being around, I have been so freakin busy I havent even had time to post anything...

so I was cruisin thru here the other day, and I saw the post on the aux input in the rear, lower cover of the center console. thought it would be a cool mod to do,
I pulled the panel, and wired up a femal mini-plug connector to it...
ground went to the blue silver wire, white to the white, and red, to the black on the factory connector... when I activate the auxillary input function on the the factory headunit, I get a slight buzz, and can only occasionally hear any music at all, and what I do hear is just barely audible... I double and triple checked my connections, and according to what is posted, I have it wired properly.

so my question is, has anyone actually done this mod, and if so, in detail, how exactly did you do it, what type of cable did you use, where did you get it, and did you have any problems?

thanks for the help guys..

Old 08-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Default RE: aux input question

I am also very interested in this info. Just picked up an Outlander XLS with 6disc and no Nav, I want to hook up an AUX connector so I can direct wire my XM radio rather than deal with the crappy FM modulator. I've seen a couple postings showing a few pics of the wires, but no detailed information about exactly what connectors were used, what wires were connected to what other wires, or anything showing the finished mod. I think lots of people are probably interested in doing this, so a fully detailed walkthrough would be very, very appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 PM

Hey Sound - welcome back, its been a awhile! Sounds like you're shorting out somewhere- is the plug good?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 AM

Welcome back! Sounds like you have a bad end or possibly have a wire backwards. Only thing I can think of.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 AM

yeah, could be that, though Im not sure how.
the wire I used was a brand new belkin male to female, mini-plug cable... I just nipped it in half, and wired it straight to the factory wires... I took all the stranded, free wires in the belkin cable, and assuming those are ground, wired them to the blue/silver wire; then the red wire in the belkin cable to the black wire, and then the white in the belkin to the white in the factory...

am I missing something, or am I just retarded...?

ya know what the problem is... its the damn japanezey cars they keep sending over here.... damn jappos...
god knows they dont build anything right... LOL

Old 11-26-2007, 12:15 PM

......has this been done succesfully yet ? ?

if so , could someone post up the wire color / connection points.

thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM

Hey soundcolor, you may have read my post about this back panel. I haven't tried to connect anything to the plugs yet but the color wires on these plugs really don't match up with anything on either plug on the back of the 6-disc. Supposedly you should use #6, #14 and #15 in the 18 pin but these colors are Brown, orange w/single gray mark and yellow respectively. Note I have a US model vehicle. I printed wire diagrams and if you have ever seen Mits's wire diagrams, well let's just say I'm still looking at them.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 PM

I have done this mod and it worked great, it took me about an hour to complete. I found information on this topic from a different forum, it was very helpful.
http://outieclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15

Old 11-27-2007, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: drg2007

I have done this mod and it worked great, it took me about an hour to complete. I found information on this topic from a different forum, it was very helpful.
http://outieclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15
Good find, the colors listed at that link correspond to what I have.....I am excited to try it this weekend!

quote from link:

"I found that the black wire was the Right channel, the blue wire was the ground (shield) and the white wire was the Left channel."

Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 AM

Hi Guys .... just had my Outie here in the UK for just four weeks now and luvvin it !!
I really don't want to confuse issues but I could not wait to do this mod so did it last week. I found the black wire was the shield and the other two (can't remember colours now) were right/left channel. Didn,t check which was which as it doesn't really matter.If you check the series of three wire on the plug attached (remember there are five wires on this plug .... 2 space three) to the back panel of the center armrest you can even detect the black to be slightly different .... thicker. That's the situation on my UKOutie and it works well. However I amunable to source a good quality 3.5mm Jack socket so am consideringremovingmine (it's alreay dropping on channel sometimes) with asuitable length of cablewith a jack attached direct to the Outie wiring (fed through the armrest inside with a grommet).
Hope all that helps not hinders .... have a good dayand enjoy listening to your MP3!!
Has anyone done this and thought how to do soemthingwith the screen ... it's really boring. The headunit thinks its playing a DVD so displays a wasrning message and then ..... Nothing !!!