Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

blown head gasket???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Default whitish gunk under oil cap - blown head gasket?

WEll,

As you know if you have read my posts, I have been having issues with my BRAND NEW 2009 Outlander. I drove it off the lot on Oct 17 and the 2 days after I looked under the hood to find coolant everywhere under the rad cap and only about an inch of coolant in the overflow tank. I filled up the coolant reservoir, checked the rad and called Mitsu where they sent me a rad cap from another outlander on the lot. That seemed to take car of it. During all this, NO HIGH TEMP ALARM was thrown.

SInce then, every time I drive the car, there is always air in the overflow hose. I was told nothing is wrong with the cooling system and no air is in it.

My level of coolant in the reservoir goes down a lot faster than it should (Noticeable in a week).

I know it is winter, but I can't seem to get the rad fans to come on unless I put the A/C on. I am about to check the fuse today.

ALso, I checked under the oil cap today when I went out and saw this (see pic). I am assuming this is coolant mixing with oil. So this means what? A blown head gasket with only 5000km on the truck?

I am assuming this is all covered under warranty? Any words of advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails blown head gasket???-img_9156_1_9_1.jpg  

Last edited by newoutlanderfan; 01-09-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 01-09-2010, 11:32 PM

it's a really small picture and hard to see. do you have a larger one?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
it's a really small picture and hard to see. do you have a larger one?
I have just read that condensation may casue something like this, but only if you are doing short runs and not letting the engine vapourize the condensation. I do about 2 good highway runs a week (30 minutes each way).

Also, I guess one other important question would be this. IF I had a head gasket issue, when people talk of all this white smoke from the exhaust, would that happen on a warm day as well? It has been really cold here and everyone has smoke/steam out of their tailpipes..However, it has warmed up to 3 degrees celcius today.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails blown head gasket???-img_9156_1_17_1.jpg