Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 PM

hey,

here is a youtube link to the sound it makes. Take a listen and give some guesses

outiesound - YouTube

Thanks!
Dave

Old 05-09-2013, 09:33 PM

Hey Dave, thanks for uploading the clip. It sounds different than mine. Mine is bit more like small clunking/knocking when the brakes are applied. I found a similar sound like this one @
I'm taking it to the dealer this Sat. and will update how it goes.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 AM

Hey Dave,

Here is the update. First off, it's a bad news that the problem I am having didn't get resolved after the dealer replaced a lower arm stabilizer on the front driver side, and their technician showed me how loose it was while he was shaking it and it was the cause of clunking noise. I thought it was fixed and I didn't hear the noise when I left, but it came back again when I parked the car in the garage, and it sounds from rear left end.

I called the dealer back to report what was happening and I am going there this week once again to have them diagnose the issue.

After some research (see the article shown below), I'm guessing it might be something to do with my rear brake pad and it sounds like more metal to metal knocking noise and very small (acceptable) noise. My rear brake pads were replaced during the winter (Dec. of 2012), and this noise only happens recently when the weather gets really warm.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...e-34660/page2/

Old 05-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Banned

If the problem isn't fixed, don't pay the bill.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 AM

so Mitsubishi said the noise was due to the rusty edge of the rotors. He saiud all 4 are like that. So I asked him why is only one making the noise?

Anyway, his recommedation is to replace pads and rotors. I was thinking of doing the pads anyway (I do have 107,000km on them and still a bit to spare), but I wasn't planning on doing the rotors. Actually, I never had to replace rotors....so after 100,000km, I was kind of shocked.

Anyway, any suggestions for good pads and maybe rotors for an outlander?

Thanks

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM

We had the exact same cause. The noise goes away after they performed a brake service on the left rear brake.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mengxiao88
We had the exact same cause. The noise goes away after they performed a brake service on the left rear brake.
But he doesn't think a brake service wouldn't do anything. It was weird, he was pushing for new brakes and rotors ..but he didn't even care if they did the wrok. He was adamant that only that would get rid of the noise......

Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 AM

I would go with Powerstop Rotors and Pads check out autoanything.com

Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Banned

I wouldn't.

Get some blank rotors from Autozone, and get some Hawk HPS pads. As someone that spends a good amount of time on race tracks, I can tell you that slotted/drilled rotors suck, ALL OF THEM.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 AM

I have a 2012 Outlander XLS that has just hit 20,000KM. It started having this issue at about 12,000K and the dealer has replaced the bushings (had me pay for it) and has serviced the breaks twice and the issue remains.

The problem is the cracking sound that seems to be in sync with wheel rotation and is coming from the rear breaks at low speed since it only happens on light breaking. It also happens when the vehicle is warm, or on warmer days (once in a while it may happen on cold start).

The reason the noise is bothering me is that I have had a 2010 Outlander XLS before and never had any noise issues with it. I traded the 2010 for 2012 since I wanted some options and it was cheaper to get the new one with options than getting them installed in the 2010.

I have taken the car to dealer several times and I have been told that there are some "metal brackets on the breaks" that "warp when they get excessively hot", but "it is not a Mitsubishi design issue" and "it is not common".

Well, I should mention the service staff at Markham Mitsubishi have a history of lying to me regarding the vehicle (or maybe they are just misinformed about the vehicle themselves and they just pass on the incorrect information to me).

This is a new vehicle that has been driven very lightly (since I generally drive company car and only drive this one for pleasure), so I didn't expect a new vehicle to deteriorate so fast. I bought the car last June (so it is just a couple of months over a year now).

1. should the dealer be charging me for servicing the breaks or part of the breaks that go bad before 20k? (there is no warranty on the breaks what-so-ever)?
2. Is it actually an issue with the original Mitsubishi OEM part? and if it is a design/part issue is there a better quality part option (do they even make better parts, or everything else is 3rd party/after-market)?
3. Given the service hit-and-miss level at Mitsubishi dealership, is it even wise to have them install aftermarket parts in the car? Would that mess-up/void the warranty?

Last edited by gameoffuture; 09-14-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Quick Reply: brake noise