Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 AM

If you want the dealership to fix it, I'd contact Mitsubishi Motors of North America and let them know the whole issue. I'm sure they don't warranty rotors and pads, but I'd imagine they will warranty caliper, caliper bracket, brake lines, and ABS system.

Personally, I'd get on the phone with MMNA and determine what is and is not covered by warranty. If the only thing not covered are pads and rotors, then call the stealership up and discuss the call to MMNA. if it is a bracket, then it shouldn't be an issue for them to warranty out the bracket. If it is the bracket, and they don't want to mess with it, then you file a complaint with MMNA and let customer service know about it. Like you said, you bought the vehicle for pleasure...it should not be an irritation.
If through all that, they still don't help...do what seba suggested. Replace the rotors and pads from a respected brand. if it still squeals, then start replacing parts up the line...caliper, then caliper bracket.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:13 PM

how about diff

Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 AM

If it only happens during braking, I wouldn't think it'd be associated with the drive train. Creaking u-joints would also happen during acceleration. As long as the diff has oil, that shouldn't make a noise at all. Also, this generation seems to have more engine braking than most cars, so if it were driveline associated...it would creak during light engine braking. It only happens when using brakes.

I wonder if the shim on the back of the pad is missing? if not, maybe apply just a bit of caliper grease between the pad and shim. That would tell you if the squeal is from the pad or not.

Maybe call in to Car-Talk...

Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 PM

im not trusting his diagnosis. Also, noise moves.
Also, brakes dont normally make noise for no reason.

The mechanic sounds like a monkey, telling him to replace sh*t without diagnosis.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM

I'll fully agree to that!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I'll fully agree to that!

put new pads on and got the rust lip removed...Noise disappeared for a month or two. HOWEVER, it is back again. I have no idea. It doesn't seem to affect braking so the hell with it. I'll live with it until I can't anymore.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Did the rust lip grow back?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:11 PM

FWIW I bought Raybestos Advanced grade rotors and Raybestos Professional grade pads from Amazon - pretty nice!

For some reason Advanced grade rotors were slightly cheaper than Pro grade rotors.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 PM

I took it back to the dealer, this time their senior technician took it out for a test drive and confirmed the noise. He said it was the breaks. They serviced the breaks again, and it has been a week and the noise is gone. The last two times they serviced the breaks the noise came back a few days later, so this is an improvement. However I have not had the car out for a long drive yet. Last time the noise came back after some long driving.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM

easy way to do it is to use windows movie maker. Inserts picture as your video, then add your sound file and export it to WMV or mp4 file. Then you will have your video file that will be a sound file and you can upload it to youtube.
If you dont have windows movie maker download GoPro studio from GoPro web site (free) and do the same.

Quick Reply: brake noise