Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 02:29 AM
Default Did you find a solutiom

Hi this is the exact sound my brake makes when I stop the car at a slow speed. Were you able to diagnose the issue. Cause am dead sure that my breaks are ok. Could it be a wheel bearing issue?

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
hey,

here is a youtube link to the sound it makes. Take a listen and give some guesses

outiesound - YouTube

Thanks!
Dave

Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by gameoffuture
I have a 2012 Outlander XLS that has just hit 20,000KM. It started having this issue at about 12,000K and the dealer has replaced the bushings (had me pay for it) and has serviced the breaks twice and the issue remains.

The problem is the cracking sound that seems to be in sync with wheel rotation and is coming from the rear breaks at low speed since it only happens on light breaking. It also happens when the vehicle is warm, or on warmer days (once in a while it may happen on cold start).

The reason the noise is bothering me is that I have had a 2010 Outlander XLS before and never had any noise issues with it. I traded the 2010 for 2012 since I wanted some options and it was cheaper to get the new one with options than getting them installed in the 2010.

I have taken the car to dealer several times and I have been told that there are some "metal brackets on the breaks" that "warp when they get excessively hot", but "it is not a Mitsubishi design issue" and "it is not common".

Well, I should mention the service staff at Markham Mitsubishi have a history of lying to me regarding the vehicle (or maybe they are just misinformed about the vehicle themselves and they just pass on the incorrect information to me).

This is a new vehicle that has been driven very lightly (since I generally drive company car and only drive this one for pleasure), so I didn't expect a new vehicle to deteriorate so fast. I bought the car last June (so it is just a couple of months over a year now).

1. should the dealer be charging me for servicing the breaks or part of the breaks that go bad before 20k? (there is no warranty on the breaks what-so-ever)?
2. Is it actually an issue with the original Mitsubishi OEM part? and if it is a design/part issue is there a better quality part option (do they even make better parts, or everything else is 3rd party/after-market)?
3. Given the service hit-and-miss level at Mitsubishi dealership, is it even wise to have them install aftermarket parts in the car? Would that mess-up/void the warranty?
Hi did you find a solution to your problem. As in what was causing this noise?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by mmanakk
Hi did you find a solution to your problem. As in what was causing this noise?
Yes, I changed dealer, they change the rotors and everything seems fine for the past 9 months or so.

I bought the car from Markham Mitsubishi and took it there for service. As you know, right after they serviced the breaks at 20K I started having the issue. it took over a year of going back and forth and spending over $2800 (just for the break issue, not the maintenance), and the issue got worse and the noise only got lauder. I got fed up and took the car to Richmond Hill dealership.

I talked to the service manager straight away and explained the issue. we took the car for test drive and the noise was so bad that he thought the bearings are gone, but he could not explain why it only happens when breaking.

It turned out that the rear rotors were bent, and despite all the money I had paid for new breaks and rotors at Markham I was ripped off. They never had changed the rotors and fixed the paper work so I could not tell from looking at the bill.

They installed new rotors and breaks and everything turned out well.

Unfortunately about 3 months ago I found out that the parent company that owns Markham has bought Richmond Hill and now they have a new Chinese guy as manager (the manager at Markham was another Chinese guy). I suppose from now on I have to either buy another brand, or go to the dealership with a lawyer every time to go for service.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by gameoffuture
Yes, I changed dealer, they change the rotors and everything seems fine for the past 9 months or so.

I bought the car from Markham Mitsubishi and took it there for service. As you know, right after they serviced the breaks at 20K I started having the issue. it took over a year of going back and forth and spending over $2800 (just for the break issue, not the maintenance), and the issue got worse and the noise only got lauder. I got fed up and took the car to Richmond Hill dealership.

I talked to the service manager straight away and explained the issue. we took the car for test drive and the noise was so bad that he thought the bearings are gone, but he could not explain why it only happens when breaking.

It turned out that the rear rotors were bent, and despite all the money I had paid for new breaks and rotors at Markham I was ripped off. They never had changed the rotors and fixed the paper work so I could not tell from looking at the bill.

They installed new rotors and breaks and everything turned out well.

Unfortunately about 3 months ago I found out that the parent company that owns Markham has bought Richmond Hill and now they have a new Chinese guy as manager (the manager at Markham was another Chinese guy). I suppose from now on I have to either buy another brand, or go to the dealership with a lawyer every time to go for service.
If not under a warranty, do not go to dealerships. Brakes or bearings are not rocket science and are nothing special. Find a local mechanic and start there. I will always suggest a NAPA shop as they provide a 2yr warranty on their work, nationwide. Also, they are local mechanics with the backing of a corporation. I prefer that combo.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:49 PM

First off ..with ALL due respect it's brakes...not breaks...but in this case..perhaps it is. If you spent $2800 to have your brakes fixed repeatedly..they have taken you to the cleaners...big time.

Markham Mitsu is pretty well known for padding bills and shoddy mechanics.
I have been dealing with Motorcity Mitsu for quite a while...no problems..and the bill is always the same as the estimate beforehand.

If the vehicle is out of warranty ...I would try to find a good local mechanic..ask around..get a friend's referral..etc.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience...Best of Luck.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:20 AM
Default Rotors and brake pads

Hi,
What would be good rotors and brake pads someone would recommend for a 2010 Mitsubishi 2.4 Outlander. As I live in India, I will have to order them online. And there is just so much available on the net, that I have no idea what is a good brand and make and what isnt! I am a complete novice, apologies for the naivety

Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by mmanakk
Hi,
What would be good rotors and brake pads someone would recommend for a 2010 Mitsubishi 2.4 Outlander. As I live in India, I will have to order them online. And there is just so much available on the net, that I have no idea what is a good brand and make and what isnt! I am a complete novice, apologies for the naivety
Honestly, oem rotors are excellent. I'm at 180k miles, still on originals. For pads, I have had great luck with Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. Oem pads are akibono and are regarded well.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:13 AM

For anyone who is interested here was the solution for the brakes:

1. Markham Mitsubishi had broken the seals on both the front and back calipers.

2. After servicing the brakes and replacing the rotors everything worked for a while, but the calipers were the issue, so after a few weeks the rods rust and calipers are always touching the rotors and make noise, which is noticeable at low speeds.

3. After fighting with the Mitsubishi, RichmondHill mitsu replaced the front calipers for free.

4. I still have the issue with the rear right caliper and the replacement part is too expensive to replace. Every time I take the car for oil change they service that one caliper for me. The rod on the caliper rusts and gets gunk stuck in it and jams. They keep greasing it and it works for a while before that needs to be done again.

So basically I got screwed, since they didn't change the rear calipers and 5 years is up.

Old 01-07-2024, 12:28 AM
Default Ditto same issue

Dear Dave, I am facing exactly the same problem with my 2010 2.4 XL, I changed both the front wheel bearings, brake rotors, brake pads, even the front right hub... Changed front full calipers... No luck... Then I installed Raybestos pads in the front and the sound went away for about 7k kilometres... Only to come back yesterday.... It's the same sound as yours.

Please help if you found a solution.

Thank you🙏

QUOTE=newoutlanderfan;292450]hey,

here is a youtube link to the sound it makes. Take a listen and give some guesses

outiesound - YouTube

Thanks!
Dave[/QUOTE]